Symantec IGA

View Only
  • 1.  Moving AD accounts upon changing PRs

Posted Mar 10, 2020 12:58 PM
    Hello,

We have a use case in which we need to move the AD endpoint account across different OUs based on the provisioning role associated with the identity.

Since we cannot simply remove and add PRs, as the operation, upon adding the new PR (which has an AT referencing a different OU), will try to create a new account, will result in a failure. as the account already exists in the domain.

What is the best way to accomplish this?
    (Remove old PR > Move account via PX > Add new PR)?

------------------------------
    Software Consultant
    Gliat Tecnologia da Informação
    São Paulo
    Brazil

• 2.  RE: Moving AD accounts upon changing PRs

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 10, 2020 01:34 PM
    Ideally what you should be doing is having the AD Account Template set up so that the Account Container is using filters. So far example a different OU is to be used depending on the Provisioning User's eTDepartment value. You could then have an IM Modify User task execute to change IM user's department which would push down and update the Provisioning User's eTDepartment and a PX Policy could run on this IM task to do an AD Account move based on the changing department value. In this way the Provisioning Role is never even touched.

• 3.  RE: Moving AD accounts upon changing PRs

Posted Mar 10, 2020 02:24 PM
    This sounds like a good idea, but can you please guide me through the specifics on how to set up the filter here, as in I am not sure how to set up the Account Container path to use a dynamic value (variable) instead of a preconfigured value (the actual path for the OU).
    account container

Software Consultant
    São Paulo
    Brazil

• 4.  RE: Moving AD accounts upon changing PRs

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 10, 2020 02:51 PM
    The actual path of the OU should be something like this:

ADSOrgUnit=Users,ADSOrgUnit=AsiaPacific,EndPoint=<ADS Endpoint>,Namespace=ActiveDirectory,Domain=im,Server=Server

Leave <ADS Endpoint> as is, and substitute your nested OU structure from top to innermost as required.

Here is the View from AD Computers and Users:

image.png
    --
    Iyes Dendeni, CISSP/ITIL
    Principal Solution Architect  
    Symantec Enterprise Division, Broadcom
    Mobile: +1 614 264 1379 | iyes.dendeni@broadcom.com

• 5.  RE: Moving AD accounts upon changing PRs

Posted Mar 17, 2020 05:07 PM

So I have set up the filters so that the basic AD account is created based on the filter in the AT - this works OK.So I have set up the filters so that the basic AD account is created based on the filter in the AT - this works OK.However, when I try to change PRs, IM is not removing the old group when the old PR is removed (using PX Remove Actions for this). The task responsible for submitting the changes has User Sync "at task compĺetion" and Account Sync "in each event". I also need to move the account to different OUs depending on the role.

So now we have all test users with:
    - STANDARD Account Template
                  - this has all containers in the "account containers" tab and the last entry is a  fail-safe so the account is always created on the endpoint.  
    - STANDARD
            Endpoint/Users/InfoSec (Filter: eTDepartment=INFOSEC)
            Endpoint/Users/Network (Filter: eTDepartment=NETWORK)
            Endpoint/Users/Rogue (Filter: eTGlobalUserName=*)

- ROLE Account Templates
            - this has only the department-specific OU, the fail-safe OU, and the groups associated with the role. In my example, I will use:

- INFORMATION_SECURITY
                       - Account Containers:
                                  Endpoint/Users/InfoSec (Filter: eTDepartment=INFOSEC)
                                  Endpoint/Users/Rogue   (Filter: eTGlobalUserName=*)
                       - AD Groups
                                  InfoSec

- NETWORK
                       - Account Containers:
                                  Endpoint/Users/Network (Filter: eTDepartment=NETWORK)
                                  Endpoint/Users/Rogue   (Filter: eTGlobalUserName=*)
                       - AD Groups
                                  Network                  
    By each event, I assume that IM would synchronize the account with the endpoint at every event occurring during the processing, as in:This is what I understand should happen given all of the described above:

## INITIAL STATE ##
    Action: Moving departments.
    ===========
    Current PRs: STANDARD, INFOSEC
    Current OU: Endpoint/Users/InfoSec
    AD groups: Standard, InfoSec
    ===========

STEP 1) Remove INFORMATION_SECURITY role
             - remove groups associated with the INFORMATION_SECURITY account templates from the user
    *** since the admin task is set up to synchronize in all events, the changes would be replicated to the endpoint
    ===========
    Current PRs: STANDARD
    AD groups: Standard
    ===========

STEP 2) Grant NETWORK role
             - grants groups associated with the NETWORK account templates to the user
    (at this point, I understand we could have a synchronization issue as the NETWORK AT is pointing to a different OU than the already existing account is really at. However, since we have the STANDARD AT, which has all of the OUs, IM would be like "hey, I know where this account is" and would not attempt to create it)(ALSO, we should now move the account to the correct OU otherwise we will have sync issue, now that the PR in place is pointing to the new OU)

*** since task is set up to synchronize in all events, the changes would be replicated to the endpoint
    ===========
    Current PRs: STANDARD, NETWORK
    AD groups: Standard, Network
    ===========

STEP 3) Move account to new AD container
             - move account to new container
    *** since task is set up to synchronize in all events, the changes would be replicated to the endpoint
    ===========
    Current PRs: STANDARD, NETWORK
    Current OU: Endpoint/Users/Network
    AD groups: Standard, Network
    ===========

############################################################################################################

However, when we remove the INFOSEC PR, even though we do have the account sync set to "each event", the groups are not being removed from the endpoint account.Therefore, when we add the NETWORK PR, the group is added to the account. At this point, the endpoint account has accumulated access from two departments, which is not what we want (and defeats the purpose of the entire solution). I understand that this behaviour would be expected if we had the account sync set to "task completion", as the PR removal would not be sync'd with the endpoint since its doing it in the middle of the processing.

PLEASE help.

Software Consultant
    São Paulo
    Brazil

• 6.  RE: Moving AD accounts upon changing PRs

Posted Mar 17, 2020 05:18 PM
    Also:

This is how our PXs look like:

PX1 - Remove/Add PR