Symantec IGA

View Only
  • 1.  CA IDM Upgrade

Posted Apr 05, 2018 09:45 AM

Hi All,

I have few queries regarding CA IDM upgrade/ migration. Please provide your suggestions recommended approach.

Currently we are using CA IDM 12.6.8, OS windows 2008. As per documentation new 14.1 version supported versions are Windows 2012, 2016. How to proceed on  upgrade in this scenario.

What about Vapp option, also have GM and that also needs to be upgraded.  In this case how to achieve upgrade/ migration.

Regards,

Manu.

• 2.  Re: CA IDM Upgrade

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 10, 2018 11:12 AM

Hi Manu,

Looking at the upgrade information in both - 12.6.8 and 14.1 - docops, I believe the best option would be to:

- Upgrade the existing OS first from 2008 to 2012 (where Win 2012 is supported with 12.6.8)

- Perform an in place update of IDM from 12.6.8 to 14.1

- You will end up with IDM 14.1 running on Win 2012.

- If you must get on to Win 2016, you can perform that one extra upgrade of OS at this point.

- You will end up with IDM 14.1 running on Win 2016.

If the requirement is to move on to completely new hardware, you can still do what is mentioned above which will make is easier to migrate over to new Win 2016 once you install IDM 14.1 on those new machines.

If anything else, I would recommend to contact your CA Account team member to get CA Services engagement to cater for your specific business requirement. Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Hitesh

• 3.  Re: CA IDM Upgrade

Posted Apr 18, 2018 11:24 AM

Thanks Hitesh.

This seems a good plan. But having some doubts, When I verified with OS administrator he is not recommended to upgrade OS rather he recommended migration approach.  Currently I don't see any data migration approach in CA docs when moving from one version to higher versions.

Also I feel this may be time consuming process considering CA IDM complex architecture and deployment.

Approached CA Services, CA support case  no proper response.

But I felt this forum is some what better and posted after all above. Want to hear from experts in this forum any body come across this situation and how they overcome.

• 4.  Re: CA IDM Upgrade

Posted May 23, 2018 09:04 PM

In my opinion, upgrading the Windows OS is never preferred. I agree that building a new server is the best approach to take care of that infrastructure layer. Once your new server is ready, you can install your Application Server platform. If relevant, this is where you can try to upgrade that layer as well. Don't proceed until you're happy with your new OS and AS setup.

Once those are done you can install 14.x following the basic installation documentation from CA. Installing the software does not configure it. It just allows you to perform the next step, which is importing and migrating your IME (Identity Manager Environment).

Exporting your existing IME (from the IM Management console, in zip format), and importing the result into your new environment is just one step, but it is the big one. At this point you should be able to follow the upgrade instructions in the CA documentation. After you imported your 12.x environment into your new 14.x platform, there are additional steps such as updating your roles and settings with the new settings and tasks available in 14.x. Those steps are documented.

Depending on the complexity of your environment, now you copy/merge/migrate your custom BLTH/LAH code, email templates, any manual edits to OOTB IM jsp files, and any other manual modifications made to your original 12.x installation. These steps are tedious and time consuming depending on the complexity of your existing IME. 

• 5.  RE: Re: CA IDM Upgrade

Posted Mar 20, 2020 06:19 PM
    Hi Stephan,

We built new server and I have installed CA directory, provisioning server and identity manager 14.3 on the new server. ​I need to further steps to complete migration.

Thanks,
    Sneha

• 6.  RE: Re: CA IDM Upgrade
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 26, 2020 08:04 AM
    Hi Sneha
    With this thread being over 2 years old, you better initiate a new thread / discussion for migration.
    In general, our upgrade section contains information about migration, depending on the application server used
    https://techdocs.broadcom.com/content/broadcom/techdocs/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/layer7-identity-and-access-management/identity-manager/14-3/upgrading.html

Decisions have to be made regarding the data to migrate:
    - Provisioning data
    - Custom code
    - Existing IME (Roles / Tasks / screens etc)
    - Runtime data (Task Persistence)
    etc

Please review the documentation referenced and initiate a new discussion if and when further clarification is required

Regards
    Rinat Matityahu
    Principal Support Engineer
    Broadcom Technical Support - EMEA