DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  ALERT MAP FILE AND second value and MIB table difference

Posted Nov 21, 2019 02:53 AM
    Hello All,

I am working with events customization about a year but still in some scenarios i am unable to get the main cause of the second value in the alertmap file after an OID. Here is an example of Redundancy switchower alarm from Juniper router.
    Please explain it to me the OIDs in MIB table are on different num but as default the numbers are written on alertmap file are different.

please explain these ...

------------------------------
    [Resident Enginner ]
    [PTCL]
    [ISlamabad]

• 2.  RE: ALERT MAP FILE AND second value and MIB table difference

Posted Nov 21, 2019 05:12 AM
    Edited by Catalin Farcasanu Nov 21, 2019 05:12 AM
    In the Event configuration section, T for the 19th variable stands for Table. There should be a file called JuniperRedundancySwitchoverReason_en_US where the correspondance between the received value as varbind and the displayed text in the event presented is realized. Those values are usually populated from information existing in the MIB files.

The same applies for the rest of the mentioned variables (11, 13). 

This functionality is described in the documentation (https://techdocs.broadcom.com/content/broadcom/techdocs/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/it-operations-management/spectrum/10-4/managing-network/event-configuration/about-event-table-files.html).

Senior Consultant
    SolvIT Networks

• 3.  RE: ALERT MAP FILE AND second value and MIB table difference

Posted Nov 22, 2019 02:43 AM
    this is not my question this is what you define what is T means and that table reference  my question is that 
    #Switchoverreason
    1.3.6.1.4.1.2636.3.1.14.1.10(19,20)

why there is written 19,20 its not the 19th place on mib table or its not on 19th place in event variables bind i think so... and whats the purpose of 20. i added mib table detail in trail above.

here is the detail in file that you refernce as table. 

[Resident Enginner ]
    [PTCL]
    [ISlamabad]

• 4.  RE: ALERT MAP FILE AND second value and MIB table difference

Posted Nov 22, 2019 02:58 AM
    You're not making any sense. Please use punctuation signs and please also rephrase the question. I answered initially to what I thought the question was.

Senior Consultant
    SolvIT Networks

• 5.  RE: ALERT MAP FILE AND second value and MIB table difference

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 22, 2019 09:37 AM
    Edited by Gregory Polenta Nov 22, 2019 09:37 AM
    I think you are referring to the mapping of the Varbinds to Event Variables

------------------------------------------------
    AlertMap File
    As shown in the following example, the OID map can be broken down into three parts: the OID, the value variable ID, and the instance variable ID.
    spec--alertmapbreakdown_OTH
    The OID identifies the specific variable being sent with the trap. The previous OID references the ciscoEnvMonSupplyState variable in the Cisco Environment monitoring MIB (CISCO-ENVMON_MIB).
    The value variable ID stores the value of the variable that is sent in the variable binding. Any integer value can be used here; however, it must be different from the integer that is used for the instance variable ID. A value of zero indicates that you do not want to store the value of the variable binding.
    The instance variable ID stores the instance portion of the OID. If your variable binding identifies a particular object from a table variable within the trap MIB, it is likely to include an instance ID. Any integer value can be used here; however, it must be different from the integer that is used for the value variable ID. A value of zero indicates that you do not want to store the value of the instance variable.

------------------------------------------------

So 19 is just the next variable number to use to store the value of the 1.3.6.1.4.1.2636.3.1.14.1.10 varbind, 20 is used to store
      the instance part of the OID

• 6.  RE: ALERT MAP FILE AND second value and MIB table difference
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 22, 2019 10:02 AM
    Using your example:

1.3.6.1.4.1.2636.3.1.14.1.10(19,20)

The "19" is an arbitrary number assigned by the author of the AlertMap entry. It means the value of the varbind (1.3.6.1.4.1.2636.3.1.14.1.10) sent by the trap, will be save to Event Variable "19". The author could have just as easily used "17492" or any other number to save the value to. Then, the value saved to this Event Variable for this event can be used later in the event processing. For example, if you save the value to Event Variable "19" and the data type is an Integer, then you can display that value in the event by adding {I 19} to the associated Event Format file.

The "20" is also an arbitrary number assigned by the author of the AlertMap entry. It means the instance value of the varbind (1.3.6.1.4.1.2636.3.1.14.1.10) sent by the trap, will be save to Event Variable "20". This is only used if the varbind is from a table and the instance from the table contains any useful information for use later in the event processing.

This is all documented in the "Map SNMP Trap Data to a CA Spectrum Event" section of the documentation located at https://techdocs.broadcom.com/content/broadcom/techdocs/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/it-operations-management/spectrum/10-3-2/integrating/southbound-gateway-toolkit/map-snmp-trap-data-to-a-ca-spectrum-event.html#concept.dita_e852ac4a6176ba938fc07e9b47cbdca199842321_AlertMapFileSyntax

Joe