DX NetOps

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

How to get the system uptime report in CA PM

• 1.  How to get the system uptime report in CA PM

Posted Jan 30, 2020 04:29 AM
    Hi ,
        We are using CA PM 3.7 on linux,  We have the requirement to get the system uptime report for all the network devices. Is there a way in CA PM to get these type of report? or any other suggestion to pull these information( either from DB or any other type) since I noticed system MF and system statistics VC in the CA PM and not sure whats the purpose of this MF and how to use it. 

I would appreciate your help to get me the answer.
    Thanks.

• 2.  RE: How to get the system uptime report in CA PM

Posted Jan 30, 2020 05:22 AM
    Availability is the variable you should be reporting on. Its provided in percentage. There's a function in place availabilityWithSysUptime that computes availability based on the information in sysUpTime. 

------------------------------
    Senior Consultant
    SolvIT Networks

• 3.  RE: How to get the system uptime report in CA PM

Posted Jan 30, 2020 08:05 AM
    Hi,
         I don't need the Availability report instead require the system uptime(value as it is). The availability report tells only available of the device in % but I need how long the device is up.

Any other suggestion please?.

• 4.  RE: How to get the system uptime report in CA PM

Posted Jan 30, 2020 08:11 AM
    What would you do with a sysuptime value as it is? usually it's in a 100th of a second and it's a counter that increases. what would you do with such a value, whenever the data rollup occurs?

Senior Consultant
    SolvIT Networks

• 5.  RE: How to get the system uptime report in CA PM

Posted Feb 25, 2020 07:55 AM
    Hi , 
        Sorry for the delay. There is a requirement here to pull up the system uptime data so I am checking the possible way to get that in CAPM. is it possible?.
    Thanks.

• 6.  RE: How to get the system uptime report in CA PM

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 25, 2020 09:44 AM
    Availability is the intended metric for whether or not a device is up, and thus Available.

There is no sysUpTime metric that would report on it. It would have to be done via either:
    • A custom Certification that polls the value, calculates it and provides a value for reporting.
    • An Enhancement Request

Technical Support Engineer IV
    Broadcom

• 7.  RE: How to get the system uptime report in CA PM

Posted Feb 26, 2020 12:04 AM
    ​Thanks Mike. Is it possible to get the custom certification to get the system uptime value?. Please help me here.

• 8.  RE: How to get the system uptime report in CA PM

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 26, 2020 12:12 PM
    The usual options for Certifications would apply here.

Doing it on your own following the documentation... https://techdocs.broadcom.com/content/broadcom/techdocs/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/it-operations-management/performance-management/3-7/building/self-certification.html

Hiring Services to write it for you. Engage the account management team for further information on that end.

Certification Request via support as a new P4 case requesting a new certification or metric. That would require the information documented in this Knowledge Base Article before it could be fulfilled by the certification engineering team.

https://ca-broadcom.wolkenservicedesk.com/external/article?articleId=35801

Technical Support Engineer IV
    Broadcom

• 9.  RE: How to get the system uptime report in CA PM
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 27, 2020 05:04 AM
    I'm gonna ask the question one more time: What would you do with a sysuptime value as it is? What would you do with such a value, whenever the data rollup occurs? The PM only handles 2 types of data: counter and gauge. 

If you use the sysUptime value as it is, it would have to be stored in the db as gauge. Whenever the rollup process kicks in, the rolled up value will be tampered, as for the gauge values, an average is performed for the stored values. That value resulted will be unusable for you, as it would not present the sysUptime value anymore.

The only values that you could rely on, would be the ones raw stored, where no rollup was performed yet.

I had the same discussion with some of my customers over storing the values in the db that should not be handled as counter or gauge. There's only one answer: it cannot be done in PM.

Senior Consultant
    SolvIT Networks

• 10.  RE: How to get the system uptime report in CA PM

Posted Mar 03, 2020 01:25 AM
    Thanks Catalin.

• 11.  RE: How to get the system uptime report in CA PM

Posted Feb 29, 2020 05:56 AM
    Hi,

you can try to probe below parameter for each server uing snmpwalk or walktree to get the system uptime details
    SNMPv2-MIB::sysUpTime.0 = Timeticks: (47372422) 5 days, 11:35:24.22

for more than one server , script will do.

snmpwalk -v 2c -c public 100.0.0.1:1691 sysUpTime
    SNMPv2-MIB::sysUpTime.0 = Timeticks: (47372422) 5 days, 11:35:24.22

Regards,
    K.Sathyaraj

• 12.  RE: How to get the system uptime report in CA PM

Posted Mar 04, 2020 08:24 AM
    Why not use Jasper/SRM instead instead of CAPC-PM, if you have that additional reporting solution.