DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  How to have different severities for the "same" alarm (different "client" who sees them)

Posted Nov 24, 2021 12:29 PM
    Hello

Suppose that I have a trap / event that for some client has a "minor" severity and for other client means "major".

What is the strategy that you advise for these cases? 

Note: these clients should belong to the same tenant.

Thank you.

BR
    Bruno Sousa

• 2.  RE: How to have different severities for the "same" alarm (different "client" who sees them)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 24, 2021 12:49 PM
    Do you mean a threshold event?

If so, are the major/minor based on which device the threshold is applied? 
    If so, then you create a threshold profile and use minor for the rules and select a group of client A's devices.  Then create same profile and use major for the rules and select a group of client B's devices.   Then setup a unique notification per group/threshold profile to send to correct client.

If you are talking about traps coming into Spectrum and generating events, someone from Spectrum team would have to chime in.

• 3.  RE: How to have different severities for the "same" alarm (different "client" who sees them)

Posted Nov 24, 2021 12:55 PM
    Hi Jeffrey,

I was asking about alarms in DX Spectrum this time.. but you helped me anyway, because I will have to do it also in DX PM for thresholds :) Thank you!

Regarding DX Spectrum alarms.. anyone that has any advice?

Thank you.

BR
    Bruno Sousa

• 4.  RE: How to have different severities for the "same" alarm (different "client" who sees them)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 24, 2021 01:02 PM
    Bruno,

Is there a value in the trap or on the model to indicate which client is which?

If so, set an Event Condition rule on the original event from the trap. If X equals "A" then create a new event that asserts a Minor alarm. if X equals "B", the create a new event that asserts a Major alarm.

Joe

• 5.  RE: How to have different severities for the "same" alarm (different "client" who sees them)

Posted Nov 24, 2021 01:17 PM
    That, or you can do an event procedure that checks for an attribute and creates 2 different events, based on the value of the attribute. 

Basically it's almost the same thing, with the difference that if you don't have the trap variable available, you can use a custom attribute to do that, or an existing attribute.

I recommend USER_AssetOrganization (0x12bfe) that is common to all models. 

Create some Policies that set this attribute to different values, based on GC membership and once the relevant event occurs, check for the values of this attribute. If they match Customer1, create the Major event, if the match Customer2, create the Critical event and if the they don't match either, create default event.

You can do this logic in EventDisp file. 

If you have an event that occurs in large numbers, I recommend creating a new Attribute and set it to be loaded in memory, for faster processing.