DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  VNA 20.2 support for VMWare vSphere 6.7

Posted Jul 28, 2020 04:23 AM
    Hi,

We have installed VNA version 20.2 to monitor VMWare vSphere 6.7 and have integrated it with Spectrum 14.1. The integration was successful but we do not see the devices for the VMWare vSphere being discovered.
    Below are the versions:

VNA - 20.2
    Spectrum - 14.1
    VMWare vSphere - 6.7

In the VNA documentation we see the below:

CA Virtual Network Assurance (VNA) supports the following releases of VMWare vSphere:
    • VMware vSphere 6.0.
    • VMware vSphere 6.5

VNA version 3.7 supports VMWare vSphere - 6.0 & 6.7 and the latest version has the same. We are looking for a solution where VNA 20.2 supports VMWare vSphere - 6.7.

Request your help on the same.

Thank you.

Regards,
    Vinay.

------------------------------
    Technical Consultant
    Saudi Arabia Ministry of Defense

• 2.  RE: VNA 20.2 support for VMWare vSphere 6.7
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 29, 2020 05:05 AM

Hi Vinaj.

Currently the supported versions are vSphere 6.0 and 6.5, as outlined in the documentation.
    We did not test other versions, so cannot confirm they work as expected.

If you would like to request support for new vSphere version, I'd recommend to raise it as an enhancement in the Ideation section of the Communities. Or you can try involve your Broadcom Account team to possibly check with the VNA/NetOps Product Management team if there are plan to add support for new versions.

Kind regards,
    Giuseppe 

Technical Support Engineer
    Broadcom

• 3.  RE: VNA 20.2 support for VMWare vSphere 6.7

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 30, 2020 08:46 AM
    Vinay,

VMware vSphere 6.7's API didn't change from 6.0, 6.5 or 6.7.  VMware may have added or fixed things but overall it didn't change.  So VNA should work as long as you meet all the requirements.  This is true for most certifications.

As far as the Doc's, no we have not tested and updated the doc's.  I spoke with PM and Engineering yesterday on this and they have it in the backlog.

Customer Success Architect
    Broadcom

• 4.  RE: VNA 20.2 support for VMWare vSphere 6.7

Posted Jul 30, 2020 02:46 PM
    FYI,

While the API didn't change the number of Metrics returned to the API did change.

This causes you to get back Significantly LESS than you requested.

I think the metric limit is 1000 by default in VCenter 6.7.

Unlesss the VNA and other tools are adjusted to use window size chunks less than 1000 the API will return some unusable data.

This was fixed in an old Legacy product that CA had, but as far as I know, the other CA products have never supported 6.7 because of this problem.

Thank Legacy product that could support pulling all the VCenter data within that metric limitation is called "CA Capacity Manager".

David

David DuPre'

Architect - Services |  Enterprise Studio

HCL Technologies Ltd.

404-617-3023  |  david.dupre@hcl.com  | Lookout Mountain, GA

www.hcltech.com  | www.ca.com/services

OutOfOffice Alert:  Aug 14-21, 2020 - returning Aug 24

::DISCLAIMER::

The contents of this e-mail and any attachment(s) are confidential and intended for the named recipient(s) only. E-mail transmission is not guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or may contain viruses in transmission. The e mail and its contents (with or without referred errors) shall therefore not attach any liability on the originator or HCL or its affiliates. Views or opinions, if any, presented in this email are solely those of the author and may not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of HCL or its affiliates. Any form of reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification, distribution and / or publication of this message without the prior written consent of authorized representative of HCL is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error please delete it and notify the sender immediately. Before opening any email and/or attachments, please check them for viruses and other defects.

• 5.  RE: VNA 20.2 support for VMWare vSphere 6.7

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 31, 2020 08:24 AM
    Hi David,

FYI: There is a key that can be changed on the vSphere to a setting "-1" that will open the API up to respond to those requests. I just don't remember the VMware KB article that explains it.  I know some our products will return the API error with the reference KB in our logs.

Broadcom

• 6.  RE: VNA 20.2 support for VMWare vSphere 6.7

Posted Jul 31, 2020 09:10 AM
    Yes. I am familiar with that option.  When I proposed that solution to large customers they determined the risk of other apps running APIs against vCenter causing significant load was too great.
    That change KB article work-around affects all APIs not just ours, it allows for unlimited metrics to be returned by the vCenter API.  

So even the VMWARE performance tools could pull in too many metrics.

The solution was a FIX  on top of the latest release of CA Performance Manager Suite - for the VMWARE data adapter  (this is not CAPM, this is an old Hyperformix product).
    That method they used in this fix could allow all of our current products that call the vCenter API to become 6.7 compliant.  (It was written by an HCL team member I think.)

David

David DuPre'

Architect - Services |  Enterprise Studio

HCL Technologies Ltd.

404-617-3023  |  david.dupre@hcl.com  | Lookout Mountain, GA

www.hcltech.com  | www.ca.com/services

OutOfOffice Alert:  Aug 14-21, 2020 - returning Aug 24

::DISCLAIMER::

The contents of this e-mail and any attachment(s) are confidential and intended for the named recipient(s) only. E-mail transmission is not guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or may contain viruses in transmission. The e mail and its contents (with or without referred errors) shall therefore not attach any liability on the originator or HCL or its affiliates. Views or opinions, if any, presented in this email are solely those of the author and may not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of HCL or its affiliates. Any form of reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification, distribution and / or publication of this message without the prior written consent of authorized representative of HCL is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error please delete it and notify the sender immediately. Before opening any email and/or attachments, please check them for viruses and other defects.

• 7.  RE: VNA 20.2 support for VMWare vSphere 6.7

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 31, 2020 11:01 AM
    Great thread!

I have already sent an email back to the PM's.  I am very familiar with setting and the ramifications and advised as such (old VMware Admin myself).  Should hear in the next few weeks if it makes it to the backlog!

Have a great weekend!

Broadcom

• 8.  RE: VNA 20.2 support for VMWare vSphere 6.7

Posted Aug 06, 2020 05:15 AM
    Thanks Guys for all your information. Looking forward to hear back from you on this if the VMware Vsphere 6.7 getting officially supported.

Regards,
    Vinay.

Technical Consultant
    Saudi Arabia Ministry of Defense