DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  Spectrum MIB tool question

Posted Jun 01, 2020 10:08 PM
    Edited by Tao Yang Jun 01, 2020 10:37 PM
    just a quick question, under MIB tool, what is the difference between the green icons and brown icons?
    Are those brown icons meaning SNMP Traps and those green meaning MIB Attributes? Why I got no value showing up when I clicked any item with brown icon?

I attached a screenshot here to show those green and brown. 

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Spectrum MIB tool question

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 02, 2020 07:15 AM

Tao,

The green icons (leaves) are mib attributes.

The brown icons (acorns) are traps.

Joe

• 3.  RE: Spectrum MIB tool question

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 02, 2020 07:18 AM
    Hi Tao:

See the following URL:

https://techdocs.broadcom.com/content/broadcom/techdocs/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/it-operations-management/spectrum/10-4/managing-network/certifications/managing-mibs-and-traps-with-mib-tools/the-mib-tools-utility.html

"The following image illustrates MIB objects in the MIB Tools Hierarchy with the name and OID. MIB Tools uses folders, acorns, and leaf icons to show branches, traps, and objects within a MIB. Each folder in the display indicates that more objects are contained in that level of the tree structure."

• 4.  RE: Spectrum MIB tool question

Posted Jun 02, 2020 08:23 AM
    thanks a lot Joseph! So if I have not found any value from double-clicking acorn icons, does that mean the traps have not been configured from a device for that trap?

My experience is I have never found any values from acorns, but normally there's something showing up after double-clicking leaves icons.

• 5.  RE: Spectrum MIB tool question

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 02, 2020 08:30 AM
    Tao,

You will not see a value of the trap and only a value for a leaf if the device populates that attribute.

Joe

• 6.  RE: Spectrum MIB tool question

Posted Jun 02, 2020 08:42 AM
    THANKS AGAIN!
    So if I want to make the following values to display on a dashboard of F5-BIGIP group on NetOps(Performance Center), there's no way because they are only traps?

Also, for a leaf, you mentioned "device populates that attribute", does that mean the attribute is configured to be sent from device to Spectrum?

Thanks!

• 7.  RE: Spectrum MIB tool question
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 02, 2020 09:00 AM
    Tao,

Correct. The trap oid's do not contain information. They define the trap that is sent from the device to the management application.

The device populates attribute values in the mib database on the device.

An application like Spectrum or Performance Center reads that information from the device.

May I suggest obtaining a copy of "The Simple Book: An introduction to Network Management". An excellent book.

Joe