DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  What's the difference between High Speed Interface VC and High Speed Interface (Exclusive) VCs?

Posted Aug 31, 2021 09:44 AM
    Hello,
    Anyone can tell me what's the diference between these 2 VC's?

High Speed Interface and High Speed Interface (Exclusive)?

Thank you.

BR
    Bruno Sousa

• 2.  RE: What's the difference between High Speed Interface VC and High Speed Interface (Exclusive) VCs?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 31, 2021 10:00 AM
    Hi Bruno,

The 'standard' High Speed Interface VC is capable of providing metrics from both normal and high speed interface OIDs. Those with, and without, the HC label. For example it might use IfInOctets and ifHCInOctets.

The High Speed Interface (Exclusive) VC will only and exclusively use data from the High Speed OIDs, the HC OIDs.

Hope that helps!

- Mike

• 3.  RE: What's the difference between High Speed Interface VC and High Speed Interface (Exclusive) VCs?

Posted Aug 31, 2021 11:59 AM
    Michael,

Thank you for the feedback, that helped!

One doubt though:
    If I have some interfaces that respond to the 'standard' High Speed Interface VC and other don't (need the "exclusive" one), how can I use the "exclusive" VC only to those interfaces that don't respond to the "standard" one?

Thank you.

BR
    Bruno Sousa

• 4.  RE: What's the difference between High Speed Interface VC and High Speed Interface (Exclusive) VCs?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 31, 2021 03:36 PM
    If it doesn't support "standard", it will NOT support the "exclusive" one.

The only use for the exclusive one is if you only have/want to discover/poll high speed interfaces and ignore the low speed ones.

• 5.  RE: What's the difference between High Speed Interface VC and High Speed Interface (Exclusive) VCs?

Posted Oct 12, 2021 06:55 AM
    Hi Jeffrey,

Suppose I have a device where I have some interfaces that need to use the "exclusive" VC (only 64 bit oids supported for these interfaces) and some interfaces that need the "not exclusive" (both supports the 64 bit and 32 bit oids for these interfaces).

Anyway to do this without having to duplicate the high speed exclusive VC/MF?

Thank you.

BR
    Bruno Sousa

• 6.  RE: What's the difference between High Speed Interface VC and High Speed Interface (Exclusive) VCs?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 12, 2021 10:30 AM

Just use the OOTB High Speed Interface VC.  It can handle HC and low speed interfaces at once on 1 device.

The only reason for the exclusive VC was someone only wanted HC interfaces to be discovered and polled, never using low speed counters as backup.