DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  When CA PM will get verified on latest RHEL release 7.x

Posted Feb 21, 2020 01:54 AM
    Hi ,
        In our organization , the linux servers should get compliance with latest RHEL release 7.x otherwise it will get non-compliance issue. Currently we are running CA PM 3.7.3 on linux OS RHEL 7.4 and due the non-compliance , our securtiy team asked us to upgrade to latest RHEL version or get an exception. As per the CA PM doc, it was mentioned "it supports latest RHEL 7.x but not verified" so I am wondering whether I can upgrade my RHEL OS to latest one. If I need to get an exception , then I need remediation plan by when it will get verified. 

Can someone help us here whether I can upgrade it or not and other details it would be helpful.
    Thanks.

• 2.  RE: When CA PM will get verified on latest RHEL release 7.x

Posted Feb 21, 2020 02:53 AM
    The documetation states and I quote:

---
    Operating System Requirements
    We support the latest version of Red Hat 7.x unless otherwise specified.
    The following operating systems were verified:
    • SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) 12 SP2
    • Oracle Linux (OL) 7.3 (Red Hat compatible kernel only)
    The following RHEL, SLES, and OL versions were verified:
    ---

I installed it on 7.7 without a problem. 

------------------------------
    Senior Consultant
    SolvIT Networks
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: When CA PM will get verified on latest RHEL release 7.x

Posted Feb 21, 2020 04:07 AM
    Hi Catalin,
         Thats what the question is even in the doc it stated doesn't verify but supported.Unless there isn't a issue we are good with 7.7 otherwise not sure what it will be.

So we are good to proceed to upgrade 7.7 correct? assuming there won't be any issue since you weren't faced any problems. Also I am planing to upgrade CPM 3.7.3 to 3.7.8 so is there any best practices to follow:
    1. First upgrade to 7.7 and then to 3.7.8?
    2. To upgrade 7.7 , we need to stop the services , upgrade to 7.7 and start the services correct? Then upgrade to 3.7.8

• 4.  RE: When CA PM will get verified on latest RHEL release 7.x
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 21, 2020 10:35 AM
    Shanmuga,

What OS release are you upgrading from?

Regarding the supported releases, Catalin is 100% correct.  For RHEL the only releases that are invalid for use at the moment are RHEL 7.0 - 7.2.

As for the process, what you listed is correct, that you must have all services stopped before performing a Minor OS upgrade but the most important part that you missed is to ensure you have a valid Backup, especially for Vertica.  This backup for Vertica also must NOT be a VM snapshot, you need to take a proper backup as detailed in the documentation:

Backup the Data Repository

Configure the Data Repository Host for a Local Backup

Regards,
    Troy