DX NetOps

Expand all | Collapse all

HSRP Discovery

Jump to Best Answer
  • 1.  HSRP Discovery

Posted 03-04-2021 06:26 AM
    Hello

Have 2 routers with HSRP but DX Spectrum doesn't seem to discover the HSRP Group.

Do I need to do any additional configuration on DX Spectrum to model them?

As far as I can see in the documentation, seems to be transparent..

Thank you.

BR
    Bruno Sousa

• 2.  RE: HSRP Discovery

Posted 03-05-2021 03:12 AM
    IIRC, you're right that you don't need to do anything special in Discovery to make this happen.  You're checking in Locater | Application Models | All Application Models and then using a filter 'hsrp'?

• 3.  RE: HSRP Discovery

Posted 03-05-2021 03:50 AM
    Hi Glenn

No, I'm not able to filter them as you say above.

The devices have the HSRP Group table correctly filled in the information tab, though.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

BR
    Bruno Sousa

• 4.  RE: HSRP Discovery

Posted 03-05-2021 04:38 AM
    OK, so if there's nothing in the Spectrum  | Application Models | All App models finder, then it would suggest that Spectrum is not able to find this information.  I can't recall which MIB(s) cover this, but my next step would be to check that the SNMP credentials that I'm using for Discovery permit access to ALL MIBs.  It's not uncommon in Service Provider/Carrier environments to find several read-only creds that permit partial access, and more so with V3.

• 5.  RE: HSRP Discovery

Posted 03-05-2021 08:51 AM
    Glenn,

I think shouldn't be a problem of SNMP permit, because I can see the HSRP table information on the "Information tab" of the device.

Do you agree?

Thank you.

BR
    Bruno Sousa

• 6.  RE: HSRP Discovery

Posted 03-05-2021 10:34 AM
    Hi Bruno: If I understand you correctly, then No.  The HSRP table information is present as Spectrum has received some indication during discovery that the device supports this, even if it hasn't been able to read all of the detail and populate the table, *perhaps* because the relevant MIB(s) aren't accessible.
    But rather than listening to me, have you checked with your network team that the SNMP creds you're using really do have total MIB access?

• 7.  RE: HSRP Discovery
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted 03-05-2021 09:11 AM
    Have you enabled HSRP monitoring?  https://techdocs.broadcom.com/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/it-operations-management/spectrum/10-4-3/managing-network/cisco-device-management/cisco-technology-support/router-redundancy.html#concept.dita_ce74a556e49248f885ff5cd29bf8c41f89ea153b_ChangetheStateoftheHSRPModeAttribute  By default, it's off.

• 8.  RE: HSRP Discovery

Posted 03-05-2021 10:11 AM
    Pardon me, Rob, and I wouldn't normally dare gainsay you on anything Spectrum, but I thought that (your link) was for ongoing HSRP monitoring. I had thought that the OP was reporting nothing in the App Models section.  I entirely agree that it's not always a good idea to actively poll for HSRP status (although paired firewalls is one I always would....).
    Or perhaps I've not understood correctly.

• 9.  RE: HSRP Discovery

Posted 03-05-2021 10:24 AM
    Hello

I didn't enable it.. thank you!

Didn't saw that detail...

Is it possible to enable only for some of the devices? (and not "all" on the landscape..)

Thank you.

BR
    Bruno Sousa

• 10.  RE: HSRP Discovery

Broadcom Employee
    Posted 03-05-2021 12:45 PM
    The setting is on a per model basis so you only enable it on the ones that you'd like to include.  You can even some some off, some passive, and some active.

• 11.  RE: HSRP Discovery

Broadcom Employee
    Posted 03-05-2021 10:26 AM
    Edited by Robert Kettles 03-05-2021 10:26 AM
    I'm very flattered.  I'm not perfect so no problems at all since I could have missed something.  There are two possible issues:
    • If the devices don't support CISCO-HSRP-MIB and are subsequently missing the CiscoHSRPApp, then you won't have the ability to "discover", which I take to mean instantiate CiscoHSRPVDev models to visualize and alarm on:

•  If the devices do support the CiscoHSRPApp model and you want the above functionality, then you need to at least enable passive monitoring.
    Agreed that you don't necessarily want to enable Active HSRP monitoring everywhere.  In some cases you'll have active, others passive.

• 12.  RE: HSRP Discovery

Posted 03-05-2021 01:07 PM
    Thank you for the help!

I have now been able to configure everything.

Going to test phase! :)

BR
    Bruno Sousa