DX NetOps

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Regarding the disturbed DX Spectrum- We're planning to deploy the distributed DX spectrum

• 1.  Regarding the disturbed DX Spectrum- We're planning to deploy the distributed DX spectrum

Posted Jun 22, 2021 09:11 AM
    Hi Guys, 

We're planning to deploy to the DX spectrum in our network. 

We do have a standalone DXn Spectrum in our lab. it was but easy to install all (Spectroserver & One-click server on one box). 

Now We're planning to install the distributed DX Spectrum on our network. 

I've been reading the docs but for me, it was a bit confusing. 

We're going for Linux that I'm sure & I know all the servers requirements ( RAMs, Processor &, etc)  

The main thing what ( Spectro server & One-click server  to where to install )

Any proper documents or user guides will be helpful. 

Thank you in advance. 

------------------------------
    IT support

• 2.  RE: Regarding the disturbed DX Spectrum- We're planning to deploy the distributed DX spectrum

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 22, 2021 09:17 AM
    Hi Himanshu,

You can refer below links

Pre-requisites:
    Prerequisites for Installing CA Spectrum

Installation:
    Installing CA Spectrum

Distributed Installation:
    Other Installation Scenarios

Above links should help you

Regards
    Sunny

• 3.  RE: Regarding the disturbed DX Spectrum- We're planning to deploy the distributed DX spectrum

Posted Jun 22, 2021 09:53 AM
    Hi Sunny, 

Thank you for your links. 

I've configured the prerequisites for the Linux server. 
    after it 1. I've installed the Java and Java webserver. 

When I'm running the 

[root@spe wget-1.5.3]# ls
    aclocal.m4 ChangeLog config.sub configure.bat COPYING INSTALL MACHINES Makefile.in NEWS README stamp-h.in util
    AUTHORS config.guess configure configure.in doc install-sh MAILING-LIST mkinstalldirs po src TODO windows
    [root@spe wget-1.5.3]# cd /opt/binary/
    [root@spe binary]# ls
    bin CASpectrum_UpgradePreinstall.sh GEN500000000003361.tar.gz installer linux sdmc setuplin.ini TL1GW
    CASpectrum_ProcessRegister.sh distinst.version i18n javewebserver sdic setuplin.exe setup.png version.dat
    [root@spe binary]# cd linux/
    [root@spe linux]# ls
    defaults.properties encodings.dat estimates.dat features.xml install.bin languages.dat license MySQLWorkbench newtar.exe records SpectrumInsideView
    [root@spe linux]# ./install.bin

When I run the ./install.bin I'm getting below error. 

IT support

• 4.  RE: Regarding the disturbed DX Spectrum- We're planning to deploy the distributed DX spectrum

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 22, 2021 10:05 AM
    Edited by Sanyasirao Chillarige Jun 22, 2021 10:07 AM
    Hi Himanshu,

You might need to check the pre-reqs.

that might be causing

Regards
    Sunny

• 5.  RE: Regarding the disturbed DX Spectrum- We're planning to deploy the distributed DX spectrum

Posted Jun 22, 2021 10:12 AM
    Thanks, Sunny. 

I will have a look again.

IT support

• 6.  RE: Regarding the disturbed DX Spectrum- We're planning to deploy the distributed DX spectrum

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 22, 2021 09:38 AM
    The few things to remember:

1. All of the SpectroSERVER (SS), OneClick (OC) and Spectrum Report Manager (SRM) systems in the DSS point to the same Main Location Server

2. Hostname resolution between all SS, OC and SRM systems

3. Use the same OS user on all SS, OC and SRM as the user that owns the Spectrum installation. For example, "spectrum".

4. Ensure the $SPECROOT/.hostrc files on all of the SpectroSERVER systems contain the hostname or ip address of all other SS, OC and SRM systems

5. Ensure ALL of the required ports are open in the firewalls. Reference the "Communication Across Firewalls" section of the documentation located at https://techdocs.broadcom.com/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/it-operations-management/spectrum/10-4-3/administrating/distributed-spectroserver-administration/communication-across-firewalls.html

Joe

• 7.  RE: Regarding the disturbed DX Spectrum- We're planning to deploy the distributed DX spectrum

Posted Jun 22, 2021 10:11 AM
    Hi Joe

I've configured the prerequisites for the Linux server.
    after it 1. I've installed the Java and Java webserver.

When I'm running the

[root@spe wget-1.5.3]# ls
    aclocal.m4 ChangeLog config.sub configure.bat COPYING INSTALL MACHINES Makefile.in NEWS README stamp-h.in util
    AUTHORS config.guess configure configure.in doc install-sh MAILING-LIST mkinstalldirs po src TODO windows
    [root@spe wget-1.5.3]# cd /opt/binary/
    [root@spe binary]# ls
    bin CASpectrum_UpgradePreinstall.sh GEN500000000003361.tar.gz installer linux sdmc setuplin.ini TL1GW
    CASpectrum_ProcessRegister.sh distinst.version i18n javewebserver sdic setuplin.exe setup.png version.dat
    [root@spe binary]# cd linux/
    [root@spe linux]# ls
    defaults.properties encodings.dat estimates.dat features.xml install.bin languages.dat license MySQLWorkbench newtar.exe records SpectrumInsideView
    [root@spe linux]# ./install.bin

When I run the ./install.bin I'm getting below error.

IT support

• 8.  RE: Regarding the disturbed DX Spectrum- We're planning to deploy the distributed DX spectrum

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 23, 2021 07:54 AM
    Hello, 

How many SpectroSERVER and One Click servers are you planning to install ? 
    You might be better off to use the distributed installation process when deploying multiple systems ? 

Thank you, 
     Don

CA Technologies a Broadcom Company

• 9.  RE: Regarding the disturbed DX Spectrum- We're planning to deploy the distributed DX spectrum

Posted Jun 23, 2021 08:11 AM
    Hi,

We're planning to manage the 900 devices.

I was trying to access the ca spectrum sizing tool but I'm unable to access it.

I'm not sure how many Spectro server and One-click server we need to manage the 900 devices.,

Any help will be appreciated

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Himanshu Patel
    Sales Engineer

Data Edge Ltd
    Applications & Networks. Optimised
    Tel: +353-1-2866777
    E-mail:
    hpatel@dataedge.ie
    1 Royal Marine Terrace, Strand Road, Bray, Co. Wicklow, Ireland.

Registered In Ireland - Reg.No. 153588
    This document is strictly confidential and is intended solely for use by the addressee unless otherwise indicated.

• 10.  RE: Regarding the disturbed DX Spectrum- We're planning to deploy the distributed DX spectrum

Posted Jun 23, 2021 08:12 AM
    Edited by Catalin Farcasanu Jun 23, 2021 08:15 AM
    One server is more than enough. A second one would be required if Fault Tolerance is considered. 

That is, if you have some regular devices, and not big 1000+ interfaces on each of those 900 devices. 

Senior Consultant
    SolvIT Networks

• 11.  RE: Regarding the disturbed DX Spectrum- We're planning to deploy the distributed DX spectrum

Posted Jun 24, 2021 07:56 AM
    Hi Catalin, 

Thank you for your response. 

Please correct me if I'm wrong. So Can we go ahead and install the SS & OC server & report manager on one server like standalone. ( FYI it would be enough to manage the 950 devices? am I right? 

Thanks. 

IT support

• 12.  RE: Regarding the disturbed DX Spectrum- We're planning to deploy the distributed DX spectrum

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 24, 2021 08:01 AM
    You can install SS, OC and SRM on a single system but it is not generally recommended as there may be performance issues with CPU, memory disk space etc.

It is recommended to install SS, OC and SRM on separate systems.

Joe

• 13.  RE: Regarding the disturbed DX Spectrum- We're planning to deploy the distributed DX spectrum

Posted Jun 24, 2021 08:13 AM
    Hi Joseph,

Thank you for your answer.

Definitely, we will go distributed system, in this case, we gonna need a 3 server to install the SS, OC, SRM.

If we're choosing the fault-tolerant scenario then do we need install the two SS servers or SS & OC servers.

Thanks.

Best Regards,

Himanshu Patel
    Sales Engineer

Data Edge Ltd
    E-mail:
    hpatel@dataedge.ie

This document is strictly confidential and is intended solely for use by the addressee unless otherwise indicated.

• 14.  RE: Regarding the disturbed DX Spectrum- We're planning to deploy the distributed DX spectrum

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 24, 2021 08:17 AM
    If you are going to use FT, then you will need to install 2 SS's. One will be the primary and one will be the secodnary.

Joe

• 15.  RE: Regarding the disturbed DX Spectrum- We're planning to deploy the distributed DX spectrum

Posted Jun 24, 2021 08:31 AM
    Hi Joseph,

We're planning to install the distributed CA Spectrum with the fault-tolerant

1.Spectro server 1  ( Primary)
    2.Spectro server 2  ( Secondary)
    3.OneClick server
    4.Spectrum report manager

From my understanding now we need a four server to carry out the distributed CA Spectrum with the fault-tolerant.

Thank you joseph for clearing my doubts.  

Best Regards,

Himanshu Patel
    Sales Engineer

Data Edge Ltd
    E-mail:
    hpatel@dataedge.ie

• 16.  RE: Regarding the disturbed DX Spectrum- We're planning to deploy the distributed DX spectrum

Posted Jun 24, 2021 11:08 AM
    I never install it like this, it's a waste of resources. I usually install SS and on one of those I put the one OneClick server with SRM. A secondary SS would contain also an additional OneClick server to have some sort of manual failover for the OC, as OOTB failover for OC is not available.

In one customer environment that I have, I use 4 FT SS for managing 10.000 network devices. I'm planning to consolidate this, as one SS can now handle up to 4.000.000 models, if I remember correctly from the last presentation I attended. I always host the SRM on a secondary SpectroSERVER. I usually don't get any failovers, unless there are hardware problems. 

It really depends on what you want to do with it, if there are any integration that need to be configured for other 3rd party systems, if you want/plan to actively monitor QoS, IPSLA.   

I would say that the OC can handle SRM also, in a scenario where you don't install any SS on that server. 

When CA stated that there's a limit of 2000 devices/200.000 models per SS, I had server that had twice the amount of devices and were running fine. I've seen problems when reaching 750.000 models/SS on those systems. They do provide conservative figures.

What really matters on the SS machine is the CPU speed in Mhz. The higher, the better.

Senior Consultant
    SolvIT Networks

• 17.  RE: Regarding the disturbed DX Spectrum- We're planning to deploy the distributed DX spectrum

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 25, 2021 08:02 AM
    Edited by Donald Laberge Jun 25, 2021 08:03 AM
    Catalin: Will you be supporting this customer ?

10,000 network devices or 4,000,000 models of what types - Event Models ? Pingables ? Juniper Service provider switches with 100,000 interfaces ?
    The types of devices managed and their numbers makes a huge difference in the resources required. 

Himanshu: This configuration will put you in a position there you should not have any issues with your implementation.
    1.Spectro server 1  ( Primary)
    2.Spectro server 2  ( Secondary)
    3.OneClick server
    4.Spectrum report manager ( One CLick + Jasper Report Manager ) 

Losing any one of those systems, will not impact your ability  to manage the environment.

• 18.  RE: Regarding the disturbed DX Spectrum- We're planning to deploy the distributed DX spectrum

Posted Jun 25, 2021 08:20 AM
    Hi Donald,

Thank you for the response.

We will be supporting the customer. I'm going to propose the below requirements to the customer. I know I'm using bit more resources but I Just wanted to make sure all go smoothly.

Server1:
    1.Spectro server  ( Primary)

RAM: 32GB & 4G SWAP Memory
    Prosessor : 2.5+ GHz dual processor
    Disk: Serial Attached SCSI disks @ 10,000 RPM or greater
    Storage: 100G

Server2:
    2.Spectro server  ( Secondary)

Server3:
    3.OneClick server

RAM: 16GB & 4G SWAP Memory

Server4:
    4.Spectrum report manager + OneClick

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Himanshu Patel
    Sales Engineer

Data Edge Ltd
    E-mail:
    hpatel@dataedge.ie

• 19.  RE: Regarding the disturbed DX Spectrum- We're planning to deploy the distributed DX spectrum

Posted Jun 25, 2021 11:07 AM
    Edited by Catalin Farcasanu Jun 25, 2021 11:08 AM

Actually I am supporting this customer and I've been doing it for the past 14 years, since I initially installed Spectrum 8.1 in their environment.

Indeed, there are many flavors of devices and differences span from 4 ports access router to 10.000 ports Core infrastructure device. For my customer's needs, I'm confident that this will be working, as it is now with 4 SS. 

On the other hand, I've seen a major service providers with close to  120 Core devices and a number of 450.000 interfaces in total. I do not know of a service provider to have 10.000 core devices with 10.00+ interfaces each, to be in this case, so 4SS should not suffice. 

QoS monitoring in SPECTRUM is rather useless for just alarming purposes, as PM should be used better to track historically the queues and provide alarming the relevant values. Same goes for IPSLA, since the IPSLA reporting was removed from the CABI SRM reporting.

This tells me, that this customer, with 900+ devices cannot have all Core devices (10.000+ interfaces), as these figures that are presented would not suffice for such a situation.

The hardware assessment should be done based on gathered customer information and the figures that I saw here, I think they're grater then an actual implementation requirements.

What the system is good at and should be used extensively is topology relations for root cause analysis. That and Service Manager, but I haven't seen many customers using effectively Service Manager, as they find it rather hard to configure and maintain. 

CA/Broadcom has always been conservative, as I've been saying with figures of number of supported devices. What happens if you run a performance assessment on the SS 6 months in its deployment and the load ends up to be 40%? It's a good 60% reserve for future usage? I've been there several times with the CA provided figures. 

Senior Consultant
    SolvIT Networks

• 20.  RE: Regarding the disturbed DX Spectrum- We're planning to deploy the distributed DX spectrum

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 26, 2021 10:24 AM
    Edited by Donald Laberge Jun 26, 2021 10:28 AM

Good Job then!
    so we all need to make sure the customer has a supported environment that will meet their needs.

If your going to make a  significant investment in the software you don't what to put it on a minimal  h/w solution.

Himanshu: Your solution would be more than adequate for that environment and provide you with complete redundancy.

A bit more disc space on the SRM server .

Server1:

Processor : 2.5+ GHz dual processor

Server2:

Server3:
    3.OneClick server

Server4:

Storage: 250G

My first spectrum install was v2.3 from a Quick150 cartridge.

• 21.  RE: Regarding the disturbed DX Spectrum- We're planning to deploy the distributed DX spectrum

Posted Jun 26, 2021 12:45 PM
    Hi Donald,

Thank you again for your inputs I will go for a bit higher storage disk as you suggested.
    I'm planning to have 8 vCPUs per server. will that enough for it. ?

Server1:

Processor : 2.5+ GHz dual processor
    CPU: 8vCPUs

Server2:

Server3:
    3.OneClick server

Server4:

Storage: 250G

Best Regards,

Himanshu Patel
    Sales Engineer

Data Edge Ltd
    E-mail:
    hpatel@dataedge.ie

• 22.  RE: Regarding the disturbed DX Spectrum- We're planning to deploy the distributed DX spectrum

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 27, 2021 08:47 AM
    Good Afternoon Himanshu, 

Eight VCPU will be more than what would be required to support a generic 1,000 Managed devices.
    Four VCPU should be more than sufficient. 

How many users will be accessing One Click - Will they be using the WebApp or the One Click Java client ?
    Consider having 1Gb per user on the One Click servers for each WebApp instance ( user )  executing.

• 23.  RE: Regarding the disturbed DX Spectrum- We're planning to deploy the distributed DX spectrum

Posted Sep 16, 2021 08:33 AM
    Hi Donald Laberge

That's good questions. 

I've just confirmed that there will be 100 users.  not sure. 

at a time there will be 10 -15 users will be active.

I've assigned the 16 GB RAM to a One-click server.  Do you think that gonna be enough ??

Thanks.

• 24.  RE: Regarding the disturbed DX Spectrum- We're planning to deploy the distributed DX spectrum

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 16, 2021 09:57 AM
    Hello,

Will those users be accessing One CLick using the Javaclient App or the WebApp ?
    If they will be using the WEBApp you should go to 32Gb of memory and you may need more CPU depending how active they are and what they are doing...
    If they log in and do nothing - No problem
    It they have a Topology View open with 4000 devices and Live Pipes enabled, Clone Several Search Result views - have Port Performance Views open, and a 10,000 Alarm view... They will be consuming More resources.

Log into the Admin page and you will be able to see CPU / Memory and Latency data for each WebApp user.

https:/your_oneclick:9443/admin/

Don
    ::DISCLAIMER::

The contents of this e-mail and any attachment(s) are confidential and intended for the named recipient(s) only. E-mail transmission is not guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or may contain viruses in transmission. The e mail and its contents (with or without referred errors) shall therefore not attach any liability on the originator or HCL or its affiliates. Views or opinions, if any, presented in this email are solely those of the author and may not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of HCL or its affiliates. Any form of reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification, distribution and / or publication of this message without the prior written consent of authorized representative of HCL is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error please delete it and notify the sender immediately. Before opening any email and/or attachments, please check them for viruses and other defects.

• 25.  RE: Regarding the disturbed DX Spectrum- We're planning to deploy the distributed DX spectrum

Posted Sep 21, 2021 07:14 AM
    Hi Donald, 

Thank for the answers. 

I have one question regarding the disk space for all DX Spectrum.  Do we have to follow any disk layout ??  or consider the default?

/opt dir where the software will be installed. 

Our IT team is provisioning the VMs for these installations. 

Thanks.

• 26.  RE: Regarding the disturbed DX Spectrum- We're planning to deploy the distributed DX spectrum

Posted Jun 27, 2021 07:35 AM
    My first spectrum install was v2.3 from a Quick150 cartridge.

I would say that that's a very good testimony in the value of the solution itself. Still alive and kicking after all these years.

Senior Consultant
    SolvIT Networks