DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  Create watch for Memory Processor 1 for cisco routers on CA Spectrum

Posted Dec 22, 2018 12:34 PM

hi,

i have cisco ASR routers discovered on my CA spectrum 10.2.1 but the issue is it represents the memory processor 1 then memory image and then memory reserved. In current scenario customer saying that  the other two memories are almost 90% utilized every time due to which alarms are trigger for memory as memory processor 1 utilization is low.

please help me to create a watch to monitor memory processor 1 on these routers to trigger the alarm..

• 2.  Re: Create watch for Memory Processor 1 for cisco routers on CA Spectrum

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 24, 2018 06:02 AM

Hi Akash,

There is an idea about Cisco ASR Memory watch, and filter out lsmpi_io:

Cisco ASR Memory Watch, filter out lsmpi_io 

Maybe you can use the workaround suggested in that post for CPU.

Thanks,

Silvio

• 3.  Re: Create watch for Memory Processor 1 for cisco routers on CA Spectrum

Posted Dec 25, 2018 10:06 AM

Dear Silvio,

This post is an idea post i think Currently CA Team never provide any solution to implement this for Monitoring processor memory and generate aLarm on this.

• 4.  Re: Create watch for Memory Processor 1 for cisco routers on CA Spectrum

Posted Dec 26, 2018 01:06 AM

Hi,

0x10f04 E 20 R CA.EventCondition, "(strcmp({a 0x23000e}, {S \"Cisco ASR1002F\"}) && strcmp({v 5}, {S \"Memory: lsmpi_io\"}))" , "0xff000003  -:-","(strcmp({a 0x23000e}, {S \"Cisco ASR 1002\"}) && strcmp({v 5}, {S \"Memory: lsmpi_io\"}))" , "0xff000003  -:-","(strcmp({a 0x23000e}, {S \"Cisco ASR 1004\"}) && strcmp({v 5}, {S \"Memory: lsmpi_io\"}))" , "0xff000003  -:-","default" , "0xff000004  -:-"

0xff000004 E 20 R CA.EventPairTimeAttr, 0x10f05, "0x10f06  -:-", 0x12bcf

0xff000003

According to this workaround when the event is related to Memory: lsmpi_io it will generate the 0xff000003

and by default it will generate 0xff000004 

am i right??

and we have to make copies of main event to implement this.

• 5.  Re: Create watch for Memory Processor 1 for cisco routers on CA Spectrum

Posted Dec 26, 2018 01:13 AM

one thing more in my case on ASR 9010 router memory instances are names as mentioned below so what should i add in condition as same written there lsmp_io or the name mentioned here in IMG.

• 6.  Re: Create watch for Memory Processor 1 for cisco routers on CA Spectrum

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 26, 2018 09:10 AM

The workaround is customizing the 0x10f04 event to exclude asserting alarm when the threshold is breached for the lsmpi_io memory utilization. 

If DeviceType (0x23000e) attribute value contains either "Cisco ASR1002F" or "Cisco ASR 1002" or "Cisco ASR 1004" and variable v5 contains "Memory: lsmpi_io" then the 0xff000003 event is generated, otherwise the 0xff000004 event is generated.

About Event Disposition Files - CA Spectrum - 10.2 to 10.2.3 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Comparing Strings

The strcmp method is used to compare characters in a string (for example, in strings, octet strings, IP Addresses, and so on). Note that the implementation of this method differs slightly from the standard C implementation of strcmp. This method returns TRUE if the two strings are equal, and it returns FALSE if the strings are not equal.

To make use of this method, use the following format:

"strcmp({ TYPE <string> }, { TYPE <string> })"

For example, the following condition compares an IP Address with a CA Spectrum attribute whose value is an IP Address. If the two strings are the same, the condition returns TRUE.

"strcmp({ A 179.82.253.01 }, { attr 0x00011aec })"

Note the following in the example:

• Each type/string pair to be compared is enclosed in curly brackets
    • The two type/string pairs are separated by a comma and enclosed in parenthesis
    • The name of the method, strcmp, is placed on the left hand side of the parenthesis
    • The entire condition is enclosed in quotes

• 7.  Re: Create watch for Memory Processor 1 for cisco routers on CA Spectrum

Posted Dec 26, 2018 02:50 PM

secondly how this alarm triggers??

currently i used the thresholds in components details tab and there i set the threshold for generating events the event code for this is different 10f0c how this event triggers that is mentioned in this workaround?.

• 8.  Re: Create watch for Memory Processor 1 for cisco routers on CA Spectrum

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 26, 2018 03:31 PM

If you implement the workaround, there will be NO alarm for "Cisco ASR1002F" or "Cisco ASR 1002" or "Cisco ASR 1004". You will need to create a watch.

• 9.  Re: Create watch for Memory Processor 1 for cisco routers on CA Spectrum

Posted Jan 14, 2019 06:22 AM

i never understand how to create a watch for these, its totally new to me and never find how to write these for memory : processor utilization.