DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  Aggregated alarms from watchers

Posted Jan 27, 2019 11:46 PM

Hi All,

I'm running spectrum 10.3 and customer need to have two level of thresholds to be configure for CPU and Memory.

Since Spectrum 10.3 is supporting aggregated CPU and Memory alarms by default i have configured 1 threshold in the default location under threshold and watchers in the device information tab. To achieve the second level of threshold i created a watcher profile but it gives me single instance ( Per CPU Core ) threshold violation alarms.

Used Attribute - NRM_DeviceCPUUtilization.# & NRM_DeviceMemoryUtilization.#

Please help me to create this watcher profile to have an aggregated CPU and Memory alarm.

thanks

Kasun

• 2.  Re: Aggregated alarms from watchers

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 28, 2019 09:27 AM

Hi Kasun,

The aggregate is already configured in Spectrum, so you only need the watch for the individual alarm.  This is what's configured out of the box for the aggregate:

# CPU Threshold alarms to occur based on the
    # aggregate utilization of all the instances
    0x00010f07 R Aprisma.EventPairTimeAttr, 0x00010f08, "0x00010f09 -:-", 0x12bce
    0x00010f09 E 50 A 2, 0x00010f09
    0x00010f08 E 50 C 0x00010f09

# Memory Threshold alarms to occur based on the
    # aggregate utilization of all the instances
    0x00010f0a R Aprisma.EventPairTimeAttr, 0x00010f0b, "0x00010f0c -:-", 0x12bcf
    0x00010f0c E 50 A 2, 0x00010f0c
    0x00010f0b E 50 C 0x00010f0c

Cheers

Jay

• 3.  Re: Aggregated alarms from watchers

Posted Jan 28, 2019 11:53 PM

Hi Jay,

Yes, aggregated alarms are ok with the default threshold, but customer need two levels of thresholds with aggregated alarms.

First threshold already configure on default threshold and watches location. that is done.

Second threshold need to be configure using watcher since there is no other way. But when using watcher there is no attribute to get aggregated cpu alarms and only giving single instance alarms. I need to configure watch to give aggregated alarms.

Any idea to do this?

thanks

Kasun

• 4.  Re: Aggregated alarms from watchers
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 29, 2019 08:49 AM

To my knowledge there is no single attribute in Spectrum that contains the aggregate value. It is computed internally.

For a watch, you can compute it in the expression. For example, if you know there are 4 CPU's on the device and they are instanced 1, 2, 3, 4, your expression could be the following:

((NRM_DeviceCPUUtilization.1 + NRM_DeviceCPUUtilization.2 + NRM_DeviceCPUUtilization.3 + NRM_DeviceCPUUtilization.4)  / 4 )

There are issues with this though:

1. Not all devices have 4 CPU's. Some have fewer and some have more

2. The instances may not all be 1, 2, 3, 4.....

Another option is to compute it externally with a Command Line Interface (CLI) script and have the script generate an event.

Joe

• 5.  Re: Aggregated alarms from watchers

Posted Jan 29, 2019 11:05 AM

Hi Joe,

Which Data Type should i use here?

thanks

Kasun

• 6.  Re: Aggregated alarms from watchers

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 01, 2019 10:14 AM

Hi Kasun,

I believe integer should work in this case.

Best regards,

Glenn

• 7.  Re: Aggregated alarms from watchers

Posted Feb 04, 2019 11:09 AM

Hi Glenn,

thank you very much for the information.

thanks

Kasun