DX NetOps

Expand all | Collapse all

Why does two newly created RFC2790 monitored processes show Status - Critical and condition Normal?

Jump to Best Answer
  • 1.  Why does two newly created RFC2790 monitored processes show Status - Critical and condition Normal?

Posted 03-06-2018 11:36 AM

Created a monitored process on for a Linux host and Unix Host.  Both show status of Critical even though the process is running on both hosts.  Is this something in my setup that is wrong?  Spectrum can SNMP poll both hosts.

• 2.  Re: Why does two newly created RFC2790 monitored processes show Status - Critical and condition Normal?

Posted 03-06-2018 11:47 AM

jonv,

Can you please share screenshot in edit stage ,You want alert when the process is less than 1 right ?

• 3.  Re: Why does two newly created RFC2790 monitored processes show Status - Critical and condition Normal?

Posted 03-06-2018 12:25 PM

Yes, I want the alert when the process is not running.  I suppose that would be zero?  I think the Process Count Greater Than not as useful in this case perhaps unless I misunderstand.

• 4.  Re: Why does two newly created RFC2790 monitored processes show Status - Critical and condition Normal?

Posted 03-06-2018 06:36 PM

Has somebody cleared the alarm?

• 5.  Re: Why does two newly created RFC2790 monitored processes show Status - Critical and condition Normal?

Posted 03-07-2018 08:44 AM

Alarm has been cleared for some time now.  Initially when first set up it generated an alarm but I cleared it.  Status did not change.

• 6.  Re: Why does two newly created RFC2790 monitored processes show Status - Critical and condition Normal?

Posted 03-07-2018 08:44 AM

Reading feedback links.

• 7.  Re: Why does two newly created RFC2790 monitored processes show Status - Critical and condition Normal?

Posted 03-07-2018 09:22 AM

I deleted existing then added the monitored process again as below.  Maybe it is less than or equal to 0 for the "Process Count Less Than" setting or 0 just turns it off?  Unchecked process start as I don't want that upon definition review.  I just want to know when it stops.  So last question will I get two alarms or one?  One generated with the "Process Stop" checkbox and one from the "Process Count Less Than*"?

• 8.  Re: Why does two newly created RFC2790 monitored processes show Status - Critical and condition Normal?
    Best Answer

Posted 03-07-2018 11:33 AM

Make process count less than 1 and uncheck both the checkbox (down and start) You will get alert when it goes to zero .

• 9.  Re: Why does two newly created RFC2790 monitored processes show Status - Critical and condition Normal?

Posted 03-08-2018 02:13 AM

If you clear the alarm then Status won't change but Condition will become Normal. That's how it is. Condition basically depends on the model has alarm asserted or not.

Spectrum will give you alarm again if the Status was reset and changed to Critical again. If the Status doesn't change after you have cleared the alarm you will get the Normal Condition and Critical Status. Spectrum reads Status from RFC2790 MIB data on the server/device.

So Spectrum needs trigger to generate alarm. It will alarm when Status change from Normal to Critical.

• 10.  Re: Why does two newly created RFC2790 monitored processes show Status - Critical and condition Normal?

Posted 03-07-2018 01:36 AM

Hi Jon

Someone please correct me if I am wrong here but the value in Process Count Less Than should be 'not' be read as 'equal to' but 'less than or equal to' and the value in the Process Count Greater Than should 'not' be read as 'equal to' but 'greater than or equal to'.

Therefore, in your case, if you want the alert when the number of process instances are effectively zero and not 1, the entry in the Process Count Less Than should be 0.

Furthermore information on this could be found below:

Differentiating Processes - CA Spectrum - 10.2 to 10.2.3 - CA Technologies Documentation 

• 11.  Re: Why does two newly created RFC2790 monitored processes show Status - Critical and condition Normal?

Posted 03-06-2018 06:33 PM

Hi Jon,

The following KD article describes the different between "Condition" and "Status"

What is the difference between the interface condition and interface status in SPECTRUM OneClick? 

Although the KD article is referring to interface model the explanation applies to your case too. 

Regards,

Widjaja.