DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  Eventmodels and network address

Posted Sep 12, 2017 07:26 AM

Hi All,

I've added a lot of eventModel models to replace Pingable models but seems the traps are not being forwarded to the new eventmodel models. When I look at the Network_Address (0x12d7f) the IP is there but when I look in the event log I find that it doesn't find any devices with that IP. When I do a search in the Locator for devices it doesn't find them either.

It seems EventModel's IP is not even looked at when it tried to forward the trap. I was hoping to use EventModels instead of Pingable model. Is there a way to get this working? EventModels seem the better choice as they don't ping and waste resources but if the Network Address is not recognised then there's no point.

I'm using Spectrum 10.2.0

Thanks,

Frank

• 2.  Re: Eventmodels and network address

Posted Sep 12, 2017 09:01 AM

Where do you get your traps for your devices?

• 3.  Re: Eventmodels and network address

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 12, 2017 09:02 AM

An EventAdmin model should work in this scenario. Do you see the trap being received on the VNM? If the trap is coming in, Spectrum will look at the Agent IP address to match it with a model in the SSdb. If there is no match it will generate an event on the VNM model. If the trap is being received and is not seen on the VNM  or the EventAdmin model, then I would suggest opening a Support case.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

-Roger Nason

• 4.  Re: Eventmodels and network address
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 12, 2017 11:09 AM

Frank,

For a model to process traps in Spectrum, the model not only has to support the Network_Address attribute 0x12d7f but also the Registers_For_Alerts attribute id 0x119c3 AND the Registers_For_Alerts attribute id 0x119c3 must be set to Yes/True (Boolean attribute type). The EventModel does not support the Registers_For_Alerts attribute id 0x119c3.

The Pingable model is only pinged at the configured poll interval by default is 5 minutes. You can set the poll interval to every 12 hours and the DCM Retry Count to 1 to reduce the network traffic.

Joe

• 5.  Re: Eventmodels and network address

Posted Sep 12, 2017 03:33 PM

Thanks Joe,

This helps settle this one. I thought I was being clever to use EventModel as they also go a nice green! I've reverted back to modelling them as Pingable and it's now working again as it did before. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

I get traps from Meraki Cloud which I manipulate - they work fine with Pingable models but Joe saved the day again!

I have an EventAdmin but then forward the device specific traps to specific models with IP's.

Joe you should write a technical book on Spectrum - I would want the first copy!

Regards,

Frank