DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  Display a Network Weathermap in Spectrum/CAPM

Posted Feb 19, 2018 04:14 AM

Hi!

We at looking into displaying a mix of performance and topology data in a Network Weathermap for critical links.

Something like this: 

Network Weathermap | Open Source Network Visualisation 

We have both Spectrum and CAPM licenses. Does anyone know if either of the two CA products are capable of doing this?

Regards

Christopher Ellefsen

• 2.  Re: Display a Network Weathermap in Spectrum/CAPM

Posted Feb 19, 2018 10:14 AM

Hi,

Yes, if you're using PM 3.1+ there are a couple of OpenAPI Apps which can be deployed and used for that purpose. You'll find them on the dedicated open GitHub repository for CA PM : CA Technologies Performance Management · GitHub .

• 3.  Re: Display a Network Weathermap in Spectrum/CAPM
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 20, 2018 04:52 AM

Hi

Looks promising. I am trying to install this:

https://github.com/CA-PM/Google-WeatherMap/blob/master/README.md

Install and Configure
    CAPC 3.0 and later:
    1. Download Application ZIP file from the GitHub repository
    2. Launch CAPC and access the Administration -> App Installer interface
    3. Select the file downloaded in step 1 3a. If updating from a previous version of the App, please select the option to update existing apps
    4. Add an App View to the CAPC Dashboard or context page
    5. Select the CPU Utilization Distribution by hour and save the view & dashboard

I am struggling with number 4 & 5. Add an app view? I am new to these apps in CAPM. Maybe there is something I am missing here. Creating a new Dashboard-> OK. Select views to add to dashboard… OK. But I cannot se these new apps/views in the list (Edit Dashboard->Views list on the left side in the edit dashboard config gui). Only the “normal views”, the out of the box ones.

I can see that the Apps are installed in the directory:

/opt/CA/PerformanceCenter/PC/webapps/pc/apps/user
    ----------------------------------
    drwxr-xr-x. 7 root root 4096 Feb 20 09:37 Google-WeatherMap-master
    drwxr-xr-x. 4 root root 4096 Feb 20 10:24 WeatherMap-D3-master

But I cannot find any reference to them in PC. We are running CAPM 3.2

I have also looked into docops, but again.. App view? (https://docops.ca.com/ca-performance-management/3-2/en/using/openapi/openapi-apps)
    ------------------------------------
    Display an App in Performance Center
    Use the app view in Performance Center to display an app.

Note: PDF and CSV printing and emailing options are unsupported for app views.

Follow the steps:

1. Add or edit a dashboard or page for the intended item context.
    2. Add an app view for the app.
    3. Select the app for the view.
    4. Update the parameters and height as desired.
    5. Click Save.
    ------------------------------------

Regards
    Christopher

• 4.  Re: Display a Network Weathermap in Spectrum/CAPM

Posted Feb 20, 2018 05:02 AM

Nevermind... Found it.. The App View is the actual name of the content in the list. Was searching for the app name (Google, weather etc)... Well there is always a first....

• 5.  Re: Display a Network Weathermap in Spectrum/CAPM

Posted Feb 20, 2018 05:10 AM

When you install an App View, you should find them usually in the "External Links" section of the list of portlets to add to a dashboard. Hope your test is going to be successful!

• 6.  RE: Re: Display a Network Weathermap in Spectrum/CAPM

Posted Feb 12, 2020 08:39 AM
    I am also very interested in this. May I follow up how is yours going now? We are having CAPM 3.6 and Spectrum 10.3,
    Some people tole me that I have to config IP SLA on all edge devices. I am not 100% sure if I have to do these to have the Geo Map dashboard working.
    We have international sites that have MPLS from carrier(not owned by company), also few US sites that have ​dedicates wave circuits.

Thanks a lot!!!

Tao

• 7.  RE: Re: Display a Network Weathermap in Spectrum/CAPM

Posted Feb 13, 2020 04:52 AM
    There are different versions of Maps available on Github. One application makes use of interfaces, so interfaces data is published on the links that are displayed and not IPSLA test results. There's one app that shows how custom attributes should be defined in DA in order to achieve the functionality required. 

it depends on what you're trying to achieve. You can use the already published applications as examples and adapt them according to your requirements.

------------------------------
    Senior Consultant
    SolvIT Networks

• 8.  RE: Re: Display a Network Weathermap in Spectrum/CAPM

Posted Feb 14, 2020 08:24 AM
    I'd also be very interested in this, I have installed both Versions but struggling to get it working.

The stumbling block at the moment would appear to be with the custom attributes, or more to the point of giving the interfaces new Alias Names.

If anyone has actually got this working and is willing to expand on how that would be helpful.

• 9.  RE: Re: Display a Network Weathermap in Spectrum/CAPM

Posted Feb 14, 2020 08:37 AM
    What's the problem? The definition of custom attributes can be achieved using another app that is published on GitHub. There's one more that can help you update the newly defined Custom_Attributes. If I remember correctly the custom attribute should be named Connects_To and should contain the name of the device it should connect to. 

I had in mind, but did not have the time so far, to create a system that would get the connection between de devices existing in SPECTRUM and update some corresponding custom attributes created in PM to reflect the connections between devices, as being discovered by SPECTRUM. And have in addition some kind of a cron job that would run periodically to update those custom attributes in PM to reflect the SPECTRUM topology.

Senior Consultant
    SolvIT Networks