DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  CA PM aliasName, name, displayName

Posted Mar 29, 2018 05:40 PM

Hi All,

I've managed to find the REST API call to change the aliasName and was wondering about the other 2.

The other name-related attributes that is - you can get them when using http://capc:8181/pc/center/webservice/devices GET call.

We have an issue where the hostname on the routers contain the domain name at the end of the 'name'.

Can we change the 'name' of the device? i.e. to remove everything after the first full stop?

When is the displayName used? I assume it is used to over-ride the 'name' so perhaps this is the field I should be using? Is it safe to do so? displayName and name seem to always be the same by default.

What would be the best way to tackle this domain issue? We can't get them to remove it from the config as it is used to generate certificates - so that's not an option. I would like to be able to change the name to match the name of the devices in CA Spectrum and other tools so the name is the same everywhere?

Many Thanks,

Frank

• 2.  Re: CA PM aliasName, name, displayName
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 02, 2018 08:41 AM

Frank,

I believe the best option in the case you described would be to use the Device Alias Name.   In addition to making a singular REST call per device there is also a way to change the alias names in mass:

Set Alias Names For Multiple Monitored Devices - CA Performance Management - 3.5 - CA Technologies Documentation 

This would allow you to manipulate the name to what is not seen on the device (override it if you will).  You will need to make one other change though so your reports and dashboards display the Alias Name over the Display Name (default)

Customize Display Settings - CA Performance Management - 3.5 - CA Technologies Documentation 

I am not sure if it applies to your situation or not but interfaces & components can also have aliases:

Set Interface Name Aliases - CA Performance Management - 3.5 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Set Component Name Aliases - CA Performance Management - 3.5 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Troy

• 3.  Re: CA PM aliasName, name, displayName

Posted Apr 03, 2018 04:12 AM

Many Thanks Troy,

Thanks for the interface alias info - that is scheduled to be done after I've sorted out the device level. Many Thanks.

Do you know what the 'displayName' and 'name' are used for? They both default to the sysName so difficult to see which is actually the one being rendered in the dashboards.

Much Appreciated.

Frank

• 4.  Re: CA PM aliasName, name, displayName

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 12, 2018 04:17 PM

Hello Frank,

Apologies for the delayed response but I believe display name and name are ultimately the same thing.  It is the alias that allows you to override.  The display settings allows you to choose either the Display Name or the Alias.  For example, this is the column headers from my Devices inventory page:

Do you see a page that shows Name, Display Name and Alias?  Which is it, can you show me one with any private information blocked?

Troy