DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  Override sysName?

Posted Nov 03, 2017 11:58 AM

Hello,

Just curious if there's a way to override the sysName attribute. We're finding a number of models that don't have this attribute set correctly on the device and we unfortunately don't have SNMP write access to correct this on the device. It's not too big of a deal since the model name can be changed but causes a big headache with integrations to SOI since sysname is used for a number of attributes in SOI.

Thanks!

• 2.  Re: Override sysName?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 03, 2017 01:03 PM

Hi Fue,

If these devices are in DNS, then you can change the "Naming Order" for the VNM to use DNS instead of SysName. This change is global and will impact all device models for that VNM.

If you locate the VNM model (looks like an orange lower-case I) and go to the Component Detail pane - Information Tab in OneClick. Once there, expand the SpectroSERVER Control subview, you should find "Model Naming Order" settings. This controls the order of the protocols Spectrum uses when determining a device models name. The order is read from top down. By default the order is SysName, IP Address, Name Service. 

If you make a change to the order, you will want to have Spectrum re-evaluate the model names to update the models with the DNS names. For more information see TEC158764 "How to Configure Spectrum to Name the Device Models Using the Host Name and Not the Fully Qualified Host Name" (https://support.ca.com/us/knowledge-base-articles.TEC518764.html).

If the devices in question aren't in DNS, then you can manually change the Model Name (Model_Name attr 0x10031) and then lock the model name by setting the Lock_Model_Name attribute 0x12a52 to "yes". This will keep Spectrum from changing the model name back to the sysName at the next poll interval.

Hope this helps,

Brad

• 3.  Re: Override sysName?

Posted Nov 03, 2017 04:07 PM

Thanks for the info, Brad! But just to confirm, the steps you provided only affects the model_name attribute, correct? If so, this won’t work for us since the SOI connector is using the “sysname” attribute as opposed to the “model_name” attribute.

• 4.  Re: Override sysName?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 03, 2017 04:51 PM

Hi Fue,

Okay, I'll have to let someone that is more familiar with the SOI integration to answer then. There's no way to override the sysName without having read-write access to update the sysName provided by the device. I'm not sure if there is something that can be done to have SOI pull a different attribute in Spectrum.

Thank you,

Brad

• 5.  Re: Override sysName?

Posted Nov 03, 2017 05:12 PM

Hi Brad,

I already created an extension to the SOI connector policy to deal with this problem but just wanted to see if there was an easier way where I can just update the sysname in Spectrum. Figured that would be the case since we don’t have read-write access.

Thanks for the assistance!

Fue

• 6.  RE: Re: Override sysName?

Posted Jun 27, 2019 04:29 PM
    Hi Fue,

We are having a similar issue with a set of devices in Spectrum.  Can you share how you handled this with the SOI connector policy file?

Thanks,
    Matt