DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  Monitoring F5 Load Balancer with eHealth

Posted Dec 15, 2016 06:27 AM

Hi Guys

I would like to monitor and F5 load balancer with CA eHealth but i'm not sure which Technology should I use in the discovery policy to discover it.

I have selected everything buu some technologies the is no MIB support upon discovery.

These are the variables that i need to ticket on.

Device status: down
    High CPU: > 80%
    High memory utilization: > 80%
    Total Active connection: >500000
    Interface load: > 80%
    Interface status: down
    Pool member status: down
    Virtual IP address status: down

Please advise if u have done this before.

Regards

David

• 2.  Re: Monitoring F5 Load Balancer with eHealth

Posted Dec 15, 2016 07:11 AM

Hi,

I use a policy with the following technologies:

Application

LAN/WAN

Router/Switch

System

but I don't know, how to get informations like Pool member Status with eHealth.

• 3.  Re: Monitoring F5 Load Balancer with eHealth

Posted Dec 15, 2016 07:30 AM

Hi Frank

Are you able to get the other information except for Pool member status?

From my discovery it looks like Systems give me more valuable elements as compared to others.

Regards

David

• 4.  Re: Monitoring F5 Load Balancer with eHealth

Posted Dec 15, 2016 08:27 AM

Hi David,

I think, you should not think "-RH or -SH or -AH".

Try using all (or more) element types.

You're right, Systems may give you more valuable elements as compared to others, but maybe , some -RH or -AH Elements will be helpfull too.

• 5.  Re: Monitoring F5 Load Balancer with eHealth
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 19, 2016 03:09 PM

Hi David,

Some of the variables you are looking for may not be supported by eHealth for your device. The best place to start is by reviewing the eHealth device certification support site:

CA -- Certified Devices for eHealth 

You will be able to find your device and a list of agent types/MTF files which are supported for it. If you then drill into each agent type/MTF file, you will find a list of supported variables and OIDs which eHealth collects data from. 

Once you determine what variables are supported for your device, it sounds like you are looking to have events/alarms triggered based on threshold value? If so, you will want to look into using Live Exceptions. 

The only variables which you listed which you might not be able to trigger events on would be the last 3, for a 'down' state. Again, it will depend on what variables we support for your device but typically when speaking about a device or interface being down, the state is not something we typically track and users find they need o resort to monitoring availability and/or reachability. 

If you require assistance with setting up Live Exception rules and monitoring you may want to consider logging a support ticket. 

Best regards,

Chris