DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  CA Spectrum SDM-SDC data transfer estimation

Posted Aug 20, 2017 09:18 PM

Hello All,

Is there way we can estimate the amount of data that would be traverse between a Secure Domain Manager and Secure Domain Connector based on the number of devices being managed by SDC ?

We have a new environment being setup for a customer where the SDM resides at our location and the SDC would be at the customer location. We would like to have an estimate of the amount of data that would traverse between SDM and SDC so that we can plan accordingly 

Regards,

Phani

• 2.  Re: CA Spectrum SDM-SDC data transfer estimation

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 20, 2017 10:47 PM

Hi Phani,

Did you check our sizing tool if that would be of help to you?

https://docops.ca.com/ca-spectrum/10-2-1/en/getting-started/ca-spectrum-sizer-tool

You can access the CA Spectrum Sizer tool through a web browser. Click the following link to access the Sizer tool.

http://www.ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/recommended-reading/product-related-technical-information/ca-spectrum-sizer-tool.aspx

While doing the sizing, you will get an option to select the number of devices managed through SDM.

"Percentage of devices managed via SDM: Approximate percentage of devices managed by SDM (% out of the total managed devices)."

You can use this estimate to calculate the traffic.

HTH

Tarun

• 3.  Re: CA Spectrum SDM-SDC data transfer estimation

Posted Aug 21, 2017 12:11 AM

Thanks Tarun,

I see that information in the sizing wizard which says " Estimated management traffic load due to polling and logging".  But, what I am interested in knowing is, would this also hold true for the data transferred between SDM and SDC?

Also would any of the data get processed at the SDC before being sent to SDM and will the traffic between SDM and SDC be same as the management traffic during polling ?

• 4.  Re: CA Spectrum SDM-SDC data transfer estimation

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 25, 2017 09:02 AM

Hi Phani,

I have discussed this with the team and the consensus is that this is difficult to estimate. However, it is the same as if you were managing a device that was not modeled using an SDC. There is no real way to determine how much data will traverse between Spectrum and a device it manages. It is all relative to the type of device.

For example, a device that has 2 interfaces is going to have a lot less traffic to manage it than a device with 100 interfaces.

When a discovery is run, Spectrum sends out a lot less traffic to a work station device than it does for a core switch device.

It also depends on the polling interval, Trap rates, and reconfigurations. It would be very difficult to estimate. Especially for traps.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Roger

• 5.  Re: CA Spectrum SDM-SDC data transfer estimation

Posted Aug 27, 2017 07:09 PM

Thanks Roger