DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  CA Spectrum 10 OneClick displays special characters (�)

Posted Apr 06, 2017 04:59 PM

Hello everyone

In a new distributed environment with OS Windonws Server 2012 R2 Standar 64its I have a problem with the information displayed by OneClick. Monitoring devices with CA SystemEDGE 5.9 agent matching a string with accents (tilde) displays the following in Spectrum.

Example: 

Caused by: java.sql.BatchUpdateException: ORA-00001: restricción única (CDMTYS_PC_CTYSHIS) violada

Other cases:

I have investigated this character (�) and refers to the utf8 decoding.

Does anyone know about this case?

I'd appreciate your help.

• 2.  Re: CA Spectrum 10 OneClick displays special characters (�)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 07, 2017 08:02 AM

Hi Jose,

Is this happening for only a particular event / alarm or for all alarms?

Which browser you are using?

Did you tried with a different browser?

Regards

Sunny

• 3.  Re: CA Spectrum 10 OneClick displays special characters (�)

Posted Apr 07, 2017 08:46 AM

Hi Sunny good morning 

At the moment I've noticed it happens only with the events of the trap watch logfile of the CA SystemEDGE agents.

Different browsers have been used.

The initial problem is in the following link.

Spectrum AlarmNotifier does not print text in the field "Matched Text" from SystemEDGE Host 

Regards

Manuel

• 4.  Re: CA Spectrum 10 OneClick displays special characters (�)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 07, 2017 01:13 PM

CA Spectrum (9.4.x; 10.x) is internationalized to support different languages and is localized to support Japanese, Simplified Chinese, and Traditional Chinese. CA Spectrum displays a non-English language as installed by the user and displays English when the installed language is not supported.

English is always installed to provide backup to the language you select. No more than two languages can be installed–English and one non-English language. In this scenario, the non-English language is the primary language and English is the backup. A non-English language cannot be the backup.

EvFormat and PCause files are installed in $SPECROOT/SG-Support. English-only installations should see no directory structural difference from previous releases of CA Spectrum. When a non-English language is installed, the EvFormat and PCause files are installed in $SPECROOT/SG-Support/zh_TW (for example) and the English files are installed in $SPECROOT/SG-Support. If the non-English version of an EvFormat or PCause file cannot be found, the English version is used instead.

Customizations in $SPECROOT/custom follow the same structural configuration.

The suffixes for all EvFormat and PCause file names consist of ISO country and language codes. The following table identifies the supported languages, their suffixes, and sample directory files.

Language

Suffix

Sample Directory and File Name

English, United States

en_US

SG-Support/Event000aa005_en_US

Japanese, Japan

ja_JP

SG-Support/ja_JP/Event000aa005_ja_JP

Chinese, Simplified

zh_CN

SG-Support/zh_CN/Event000aa005_zh_CN

Chinese, Traditional

zh_TW

SG-Support/zh_TW/Event000aa005_zh_TW

CA Spectrum supports the following locales:

• English (ISO code en_US)
    • Japanese (ISO code ja_JP)
    • Traditional Chinese (ISO code zh_TW)
    • Simplified Chinese (ISO code zh_CN)

The "language packs" that are provided for each of these languages let CA Spectrum display completely in those languages. CA Spectrum uses the language for the default locale to present values for package.properties, CsEvFormat, CsPCause, and EventTables.

CA Spectrum also supports any UTF-8 characters, including character encodings such as French, German, Hebrew, Cyrillic, and more. In sum, CA Spectrum has been internationalized so that any UTF-8 characters can be used. You can enter data in these encodings, and CA Spectrum can display that data. However, languages for which language packs are not provided lack localized files for package.property, CsEvFormat, CsPCause and EventTable support. The affected user-interface elements are displayed in English.

Setting the system locale to the proper ISO code lets CA Spectrum recognize the language support files for the language. English is used when the system locale is set to an unsupported value, such as de_DE (German). German can still be used in CA Spectrum. However, because no German language pack is available for CA Spectrum, only the German entered by the user is displayed as German.

You can validate the locale setting that CA Spectrum uses with one of the following methods. Both methods return the same value to ensure the Rule of Localization Homogeneity:

• Send action 0x10405 to the VNM Model to determine which locale the SpectroSERVER is using.
    • Open URL http://<host><:port>/spectrum/restful/oneclick/locale to determine which Locale the OneClick server is using.

• 5.  Re: CA Spectrum 10 OneClick displays special characters (�)

Posted Apr 07, 2017 01:54 PM

Hi Silvio 

Perfect, only one question.

How do I send this action 0x10405  to the VNM Model to determine which locale the SpectroSERVER is using?

Thanks you very mucho 

Regards Manuel

• 6.  Re: CA Spectrum 10 OneClick displays special characters (�)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 07, 2017 02:42 PM

Hi Manuel,

a) Open bash shell (bash -login)

b) Navigate to the $SPECROOT/vnmsh directory

c) Run: ./connect

d) Run: ./update action=0x10405 mh=<VNM  model handle>

example: ./update action=0x10405 mh=0x1000000

update action: successful
    Response has 1 attributes:
    0) Attribute 0x0 text: en_US

Thanks,

Silvio

• 7.  Re: CA Spectrum 10 OneClick displays special characters (�)

Posted Apr 18, 2017 02:22 AM

I'm testing 10.2.x.

My Impression is: We see more of these special characters as with 9.4.x.

I can edit PCause and EventFormat files and replace e.g. special german characters.

But: What can I do,  if these or other special characters are coming as varbinds or syslog messages.

My users don't want see the white question mark in the black rectangle.

Silvio wrote "...only the German entered by the user is displayed as German."

Maybe, I'm stupid or my english is to bad, but I think, his hint "You can validate the locale setting that CA Spectrum uses"

will  not resolve this essential problem.

• 8.  Re: CA Spectrum 10 OneClick displays special characters (�)

Posted Apr 18, 2017 10:47 AM

Hi Frank 

I have tried all possible ways to solve this problem in the following ways:

Upgrading to the new version 10.2.1
    Reinstalling the Spectrum 10.1.2 Application
    Configuring the region format to English only.
    I followed all the community's advice.

Validate the locale setting

And the problem has not been fixed ..

The next option is to reinstall the operating system and spectrum 10.1.2.

Note: in my environment with the same configurations and the same operating system works correctly.

regards

Manuel

• 9.  Re: CA Spectrum 10 OneClick displays special characters (�)

Posted Apr 19, 2017 01:25 AM

Hi Manuel,

good luck to you for going back to 10.1.2.

But I have to go to 10.2.x.

I think, CA should learn, there are still more  than only 4 languages in the world.

And from version to version the presentation of special characters will be worse instead of better.

Regards, Frank

• 10.  Re: CA Spectrum 10 OneClick displays special characters (�)

Posted Apr 20, 2017 04:17 PM

Hello Silvio/Frank 

Thank you very much for your help, I have found the problem and it originates in the codification of the log files.

The CA SystemEDGE agent reads the log, when the file contains characters such as accents, tildes, ñ, etc. And the format of the file is ANSI, ASCII or other in English, the information in Spectrum shows the character �

When the file format is UTF-8 the characters in CA Spectrum look correct.

Now the problem is to know if there is a way to resolve this behavior through the CA SYSTEMEDGE agent when the format is not UTF-8 and contain these characters.

Regards 

Manuel