DX NetOps

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

New OpenAPI App Available: WeatherMap Powered by Google Maps

• 1.  New OpenAPI App Available: WeatherMap Powered by Google Maps

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 13, 2017 03:35 PM

Yesterday we demonstrated the new OpenAPI powered WeatherMap which leverages Google Maps during our CAPM OpenAPI Tech Series.

App Screenshot

The App is now available via our CAPM GitHub Repository.

Prerequisites for this App are CAPM version 3.0 or greater. 3.1 is the preferred version as it allows the use of 2 enabling applications which simplify the process of defining the Geo-location data required for each device as well as the interface connectivity definitions leveraged by the WeatherMap.

Installation and configuration instructions can be found within the Case Study PDF included within the Application repository here.

Simplified configuration & installation instructions are as follows:

1. Download the WeatherMap, Device Geo-Location, and Interface Connection Apps

2. Deploy each App using the 3.1 App Deployment feature

3. Using the new 3.1 App View

a.  Install the Device Geo-Location App into Device and/or Router Context page depending on your usage

b. Install the Interface Connection App into the Interface Context page

c. Install the WeatherMap into the desired Dashboard

4. Create a custom attribute on the interface item type to enable the connection mechanism called "ConnectsTo"

5. Create a group(s) with the Devices and Interfaces which comprise the items to display in the WeatherMap

6. For each Device within the group, use the Device Geo-Location App to define the longitude, latitude, and location description

7. For each interface within the group, use the Interface Connection App to specify the Device which logically connects to the interface's source device

8. Once the CAPC synchronization and OpenAPI ETL job complete, launch the Dashboard which contains the WeatherMap app and select the appropriate group in the Dashboard group selector.

The App includes several custom Map themes to tailor the viewing experience which can be modified within the App. Additional themes can be downloaded from: Snazzy Maps - Free Styles for Google Maps 

OpenAPI WeatherMap Themes

Thresholds related to Device CPU and Interface Utilization can also be configured within the App to align with your business objectives. The App leverages D3 scale functions to define the ranges and predefined colors also defined in the App.

Thresholds defined using D3.js

Application color definitions

For issues, please submit to the GitHub repository or to this community post to ensure all questions, issues, ideas are scoped to this specific app.

This App implements the MIT license and is provided free of charge but no expressed warranty. Users are encourage to participate in the project on GitHub and to leverage and distribute in accordance with the MIT license within the App.

• 2.  Re: New OpenAPI App Available: WeatherMap Powered by Google Maps

Posted Apr 18, 2017 11:32 AM

So this is looking awesome.  One problem though.  I installed all three apps in my PM 3.1, but when I go to use the geoloc or connections app, I get a popup saying Failure: Forbidden when I click on the Save button.  I posted this as an Issue on github as well, but curious as to what it means and how to fix it.  Thanks.

• 3.  Re: New OpenAPI App Available: WeatherMap Powered by Google Maps

Posted Apr 18, 2017 01:35 PM

The problem you specify is when are you going to enter the location of the device?

• 4.  Re: New OpenAPI App Available: WeatherMap Powered by Google Maps

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 19, 2017 09:33 AM

Hi Josh - The DA REST proxy in CAPC is hard-wired to only allow certain users to make calls. The reason being is that we do not have any authorization on the DA Rest services so when we expose via CAPC we have no way to lock down what a user can do.

So, we limited this to specific users defined in a CAPC database table. Out of the box only the 'admin' account can make requests via the proxy but you can update the database with additional users that should also be allowed permissions.

To do that connect to CAPC's database using a SQL editor like Squirrel and execute the following SQL:

insert into general (attribute, value) values ('daProxyValidUsers', 'admin,user')

• 5.  Re: New OpenAPI App Available: WeatherMap Powered by Google Maps

Posted Apr 19, 2017 09:59 AM

You are the man.  That fixed me right up.  Thank you!

• 6.  Re: New OpenAPI App Available: WeatherMap Powered by Google Maps

Posted May 01, 2017 09:34 AM

Hi Jason,

Great work on the WeatherMaps!

Two questions:

•   With WeatherMap75 we could specify half or full when drawing the lines. Is there a way to do that with the Google version as well?
    • This is a question previously asked, but I haven't seen an answer - how do I delete a connection when its distant end is still present but no longer relevant?

• 7.  Re: New OpenAPI App Available: WeatherMap Powered by Google Maps

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 10, 2017 09:42 AM

Not in that version. The Google version is basically a complete re-write of the D3 based App so I would need to port over the option for full vs. half. I'm assuming you want the "full" lines?

As for the connection removal, 2 options:

1. Blank out the "ConnectsTo" attribute for the interface to remove

2. Remove the interface from the target group

• 8.  Re: New OpenAPI App Available: WeatherMap Powered by Google Maps

Posted May 10, 2017 09:49 AM

In regards to the map, in the D3 version we had the option to set it to USA or Europe.  With this new version, is there any way to do something similar?  Or better yet, have the map auto-zoom optimized to frame just the devices in the target group?

• 9.  Re: New OpenAPI App Available: WeatherMap Powered by Google Maps

Posted Jul 19, 2017 11:37 AM

Any replies to this?

I really would like to see a lot of movement on this feature.

• 10.  Re: New OpenAPI App Available: WeatherMap Powered by Google Maps

Posted Jul 19, 2017 12:55 PM

There is yes, you should change within the Script the latitude and longitude!
    Follows an attachment where I've moved to show the region I want to center on my map! "

• 11.  Re: New OpenAPI App Available: WeatherMap Powered by Google Maps

Posted Jul 19, 2017 01:45 PM

Using the myLatLng = Won't this make all maps start there?

Can you think of a way to use one start for one map but another start for another map ?

• 12.  Re: New OpenAPI App Available: WeatherMap Powered by Google Maps

Posted Jul 20, 2017 10:23 AM

Good Morning!

rzilliox
    I do not know if it is viable the solution that I will offer, but what can be done is to make the input of two maps API inside the CAPM root folder, if there is another way I can study the script because I do not have this information at the moment , Who could help with just Jason.

• 13.  Re: New OpenAPI App Available: WeatherMap Powered by Google Maps

Posted May 12, 2017 11:18 AM

Is there a way to do a no map freehand positioning?

• 14.  Re: New OpenAPI App Available: WeatherMap Powered by Google Maps

Posted Jul 19, 2017 12:25 PM

Is there a way to do a no map freehand positioning?

• 15.  Re: New OpenAPI App Available: WeatherMap Powered by Google Maps

Posted Jul 19, 2017 12:52 PM

Good afternoon!
    You can do the positioning via REST Web Service!

I made the registration of the locations via POSTMAN in the DA

Https://docops.ca.com/ca-performance-management/2-5/en/administrating/data-aggregator-rest-webservices

• 16.  Re: New OpenAPI App Available: WeatherMap Powered by Google Maps

Posted Jul 19, 2017 01:17 PM

Can you do this without the google map background ?

• 17.  Re: New OpenAPI App Available: WeatherMap Powered by Google Maps

Posted Jul 20, 2017 10:25 AM

Good Morning !
    But what purpose do you want to add in the places?
    And why do not you want to use google maps background background?

• 18.  Re: New OpenAPI App Available: WeatherMap Powered by Google Maps

Posted Jul 20, 2017 10:58 AM

I would like to place objects to depict a logical diagram on network elements.

Take a look at this : https://www.google.com/search?q=networkweathermapcacti&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS706US706&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjW5Y29j5jVAhUBZiYKHbggAbgQsAQIPg&biw=1920&bih=950#imgrc=WkaYwE7bBZ6IwM:

• 19.  Re: New OpenAPI App Available: WeatherMap Powered by Google Maps

Posted Jul 28, 2017 04:26 PM

I am looking to create 2 or more links to the same device.

Maybe bump out all links going to same place at mid points or arc them.

Need an example ?

• 20.  Re: New OpenAPI App Available: WeatherMap Powered by Google Maps

Posted Jul 31, 2017 05:07 AM

Is it possible to connect multiple interfaces to one interface? We have multiple interfaces linked via MPLS to a single interface in our primary DC.

• 21.  Re: New OpenAPI App Available: WeatherMap Powered by Google Maps

Posted Aug 11, 2017 04:31 PM

jason_normandin

Good afternoon, I would like to ask a question, today the Pin located on the map they are according to Usage metric, I would like to make the change to the Status of the device.

Example: Active or Offline

In case it is offline to be in the red state and the opposite!

Thank you!

• 22.  Re: New OpenAPI App Available: WeatherMap Powered by Google Maps

Posted Oct 02, 2017 02:18 PM

Is anybody having issues with many links not showing up? I have all the devices n the Map and most of the links show up, but not all of them. The setup for each device and link look correct so I am not sure what they issue is. Maybe there is a limit on the number of links?

See below and you can see where I put the red lines we are missing a green arrowed link.

• 23.  Re: New OpenAPI App Available: WeatherMap Powered by Google Maps

Posted Apr 24, 2019 08:52 AM

Hi,

I installed this app, but the app is stuck on loading.
    Any logs that I can check the problem?

BR,

Pedro Lourenço

• 24.  Re: New OpenAPI App Available: WeatherMap Powered by Google Maps

Posted Apr 26, 2019 09:09 AM

Good Morning, friend, did you create the attribute?

in the browser enable Developer mode (F12) and verifies which function it is return error so makes it easier to identify the problem!

• 25.  Re: New OpenAPI App Available: WeatherMap Powered by Google Maps

Posted Apr 29, 2019 08:44 AM

Hi Robsonbadam ,

It's ok now.

But, on Interface-Connections app is saying :"Select Site which this interface connects to.", it's not supposed to be selected "Device/Interface"?

BR,

Pedro Lourenço

• 26.  Re: New OpenAPI App Available: WeatherMap Powered by Google Maps

Posted Apr 29, 2019 11:08 AM

And so good friend!
    After you add the device locations, you have to make the "Interface Connection" site links in the context of device!

Putting the error this way becomes easier!

• 27.  RE: New OpenAPI App Available: WeatherMap Powered by Google Maps

Posted Jun 23, 2020 09:33 PM
    Is this old/unsupported.  What's the difference between this and the Site to Site plugin?

• 28.  RE: New OpenAPI App Available: WeatherMap Powered by Google Maps

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 24, 2020 10:53 AM
    Anything on github is community supported only.  Please ask for support/help from others using/managing the app.

The underlying open APIs are supported by Broadcom.
    The only Broadcom supported map is the OOTB SD-WAN site/tunnel map.  It doesn't support non-SD-WAN group items.

• 29.  RE: New OpenAPI App Available: WeatherMap Powered by Google Maps

Posted Jun 24, 2020 11:11 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.  I understand these OpenAPI plugins are not supported by broadcom.  What I meant to say is if this plugin is still actively developed or if I should be trying to implement the Site to Site plugin that is also developed by the same gentleman.

Thanks,

David Segura