DX NetOps

• 1.  NCM Community String SNMPv3

Posted 03-05-2018 02:20 PM

This seems like an obvious question, but if I am using SNMPv3 authentication, do I need to configure a separate community string for the SNMP/TFTP NCM captures to work?

• 2.  Re: NCM Community String SNMPv3

Broadcom Employee
    Posted 03-05-2018 05:45 PM

Hi Mike,

Just make sure the SNMPv3 username has *write* privilege. Spectrum NCM will send *SNMP set* to the device to invoke TFTP of the configuration data.

Regards,

Widjaja.

• 3.  Re: NCM Community String SNMPv3

Posted 03-06-2018 08:12 AM

Is there any anything I have to do to the "out of the box" NCM settings before it can capture a Cisco IOS device config?

• 4.  Re: NCM Community String SNMPv3

Posted 03-06-2018 08:14 AM

I get the "SPC-OCC-10747: Error capturing configuration for host: Device reported no config error"

• 5.  Re: NCM Community String SNMPv3

Broadcom Employee
    Posted 03-06-2018 06:19 PM

Hi Mike,

That error normally due to Firewall blocking communication between SpectroSERVER and the device.

What NCM Device Family the device belong to? Do you have TFTP server running on the SpectroSERVER machine?  Have you set TFTP settings in Configuration Manager node > Information tab > TFTP Configuration subview?

To check if SNMPv3 username has write access, using OneClick Console you may test to change Information tab > General Information > Contact (SysContact) by clicking the blue 'set' link and modify the value (e.g. add a 'dot' at the end). If you can modify it that means the user has SNMP write access. With TFTP server running you may SSH login to the router, change to 'enable' and run the following command

copy running-config tftp:

At the prompt you can specify IP of your SpectroSERVER machine where TFTP server is running on and destination filename. Verify if TFTP transferred the running-config.

If both SNMP write access and TFTP tests work but NCM capture still fails then I guess you should raise call ticket with us for further investigation.

Regards,

Widjaja.

• 6.  Re: NCM Community String SNMPv3

Posted 03-06-2018 04:35 PM

You can put a read only community in the CommunityName attribute and a read-write community in the CommunityNameForSNMPSets attribute.  That way you are using read only for daily polling but you can still send writes for NCM.