DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  Using SNMP v2/v3 as output for AlarmNotifier

Posted Jan 15, 2017 09:02 AM

Hi everyone,

Is it possible to send SNMP traps from the Assurance Server as part of the AlarmNotifier outputs? As far as I can tell, only SMTP and text files can be written according to the SANM policy for an AlarmNotifier profile. I'm interested in using SNMP v3 traps so that I can authenticate/encrypt these logs and send them directly to a northbound collector.

Thanks for your time

• 2.  Re: Using SNMP v2/v3 as output for AlarmNotifier

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 15, 2017 03:00 PM

Do you have access to SystemEDGE?  Have you seen this?

Free Utility:  AlarmNotifier scripts to send SNMP traps 

• 3.  Re: Using SNMP v2/v3 as output for AlarmNotifier

Posted Jan 16, 2017 03:59 AM

The alarmnotifier looks useful Robert, thanks

I don't have SystemEdge. From what I can tell you needed SystemEdge in the script for $SENDTRAPPATH, is sendtrap not available with  Spectrum?

• 4.  Re: Using SNMP v2/v3 as output for AlarmNotifier
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 16, 2017 10:09 AM

Correct, sendtrap comes with SystemEDGE, not Spectrum.  What do you see available in your download list on support?  This is what I see when I select Spectrum but yours may be different:

So for SystemEDGE, you download either the Virtual Assurance for Infrastructure Managers 12.9 (Windows) DVD if you need SystemEDGE on Windows or the CA Virtual Assurance for Infrastructure Managers (UNIX): Agents DVD for Linux or Solaris.  There's a lot of extra bits on the DVDs that you don't need for this use for this but unfortunately, this is how it's packaged currently.  All you need is the SystemEDGE core agent and perhaps the Advanced Encryption module if you're interested in SNMPv3.  Otherwise, I can look at modifying the scripts to also support the Net-SNMP sendtrap command ( Manpage of SNMPTRAP ) so Net-SNMP can be used as well.  Net-SNMP comes with most Linux distributions and is available for Windows as well.

• 5.  Re: Using SNMP v2/v3 as output for AlarmNotifier

Posted Jan 17, 2017 03:18 AM

I'd wager that supporting snmp v2c/v3  traps via the scripts would be easiest, since it wouldn't require further installations and integration testing.

Supporting traps would also relieve having to give access to the Spectrum filesystems in order to collect text files and then parse them.

• 6.  Re: Using SNMP v2/v3 as output for AlarmNotifier

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 19, 2017 04:22 AM

Hi Doron,

As part of the Spectrum to Unicenter NSM integration there was an option for sending traps from AlarmNotifier (called UnicenterNotifier, but it is the exact same thing) with awtrap and cawto.

CA Spectrum UnicenterNotifier - CA Spectrum - 10.1 to 10.1.2 - CA Technologies Documentation 

I´m not sure if this is what you are looking for but it is worth a try.

Best regards,

Glenn

• 7.  Re: Using SNMP v2/v3 as output for AlarmNotifier

Posted Jan 22, 2017 03:15 AM

Thanks Glenn,

Not what I'm looking for, and Unicenter integration is gone in 10.2 I believe (I remember something to that effect).

I may have to either use a 3rd party tool or wait for an enchancement to the existing mechanism

• 8.  RE: Re: Using SNMP v2/v3 as output for AlarmNotifier

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 20, 2023 03:39 PM

Hello Old Thread, 

Was this ever resolved ? 

Thank you, 
    Don

• 9.  RE: Re: Using SNMP v2/v3 as output for AlarmNotifier

Posted Apr 21, 2023 01:59 AM

I doubt it. I don't know of any changes to SANM and/or additional ways of sending SNMP Traps out of Spectrum. 

------------------------------
    Cătălin Fărcășanu
    Senior Consultant
    SolvIT Networks
    ------------------------------

• 10.  RE: Re: Using SNMP v2/v3 as output for AlarmNotifier

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 21, 2023 07:46 AM

Hello,

SANM calls scripts, you can do anything ...

I was more interested if anyone had continued on with this. 

Don