DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  Are scheduled discoveries necessary in CAPC?

Posted Feb 23, 2016 11:41 AM

My understanding for CAPC discovery, is that it does an initial test for snmp communication, and if it's possible, it then passes off a deeper discovery, which adds elements and components to the system.   The next time the discovery runs, if the device is still accessible, nothing is done.  Any changes to components/elements comes from the settings in the DA, which check for updates, based upon your config.   If this is the case, are scheduled discoveries even necessary? (Assuming that I don't have any additions). 

Thoughts?

• 2.  Re: Are scheduled discoveries necessary in CAPC?

Posted Feb 23, 2016 11:47 AM

I had to keep using a scheduled discovery to ensure the Device Names and Descriptions stayed up to date.  These were not being updated with the DA Change Detection alone.

• 3.  Re: Are scheduled discoveries necessary in CAPC?

Posted Feb 23, 2016 12:39 PM

Is this true in newer versions?

• 4.  Re: Are scheduled discoveries necessary in CAPC?

Posted Feb 23, 2016 12:55 PM

Holy cow.  I hope not.  If so, that's something we need to request be fixed ASAP.

• 5.  Re: Are scheduled discoveries necessary in CAPC?

Posted Feb 24, 2016 11:28 AM

I originally opened a support case on this when I was on version 2.4, which is the version where I first noticed the Device Names and Descriptions were not updating.  This was the original response from Support:

I checked with engineering and the metric family and change detection won't update Hostname. Hostname change detection runs in DC for every 24 hours its a separate process. So this would be an enhancement to have one of these automatic processes update the name.

The interesting part was that the DA did show the updated name in the "Host Name" field, but it was not showing in the "Name" field - which is the one that gets synced to Performance Center.

The conclusion from the support ticket was to maintain a discovery profile and run it on a regular basis.  So on a weekly basis, I have a script using the API to retrieve all devices, refresh the discovery profile, and execute the discovery profile.  I'm up to the latest 2.6 by now and I'm still doing this process, so I'm not sure if this is still an issue.

• 6.  Re: Are scheduled discoveries necessary in CAPC?

Posted Feb 24, 2016 11:41 AM

Thanks.  Anything you can share?  That sounds useful...

• 7.  Re: Are scheduled discoveries necessary in CAPC?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 06, 2016 08:08 AM

The hostname lookup every 24 hours is still in effect.  Change detection is still the mechanism by which we update the device, typically every 24 hours or so

• 8.  Re: Are scheduled discoveries necessary in CAPC?

Posted Mar 17, 2016 11:02 AM

Hi Joe,

I had created an Idea Submission around the issue I had reported to Support:  Automatically Update Device Name

Based on what you're saying, should this now be marked as Delivered?  To be clear, the issue is not in the DA (the change detection is picking up the name), the issue is that the updated Name was not syncing to CAPC.