• 1.  How Can I use two expressions on watches

Posted Mar 30, 2017 01:21 PM

Hello Everyone,

I would like to use two expressions below on watches

ifAdminStatus.# -

Threshold

>=2 Violated

< 2 Reset

but, also, I would like to check if ifAlias have description, then if expression ifAlias= INTERFACE_LAN_ACESSO - will disconsider the alarm ifAdminStatus

Something like that:

ifAlias.# == INTERFACE_LAN_ACESSO == FALSE ifAdminStatus.#

Someone tell me if is it possible?

• 2.  Re: How Can I use two expressions on watches

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 30, 2017 01:30 PM
      |   view attached

If you have the watch generate an event, then on that event put an event condition rule to check whether ifalias equals the text.  If it does, generate a new event and configure that event to generate an alarm.

Cheers

Jay

• 3.  Re: How Can I use two expressions on watches

Posted Mar 30, 2017 03:33 PM

Hi Jason,

If you have the watch generate an event, then on that event put an event condition rule to check whether ifalias equals the text.  If it does, generate a new event and configure that event to generate an alarm.

By doing that, do I have to configure If event 0xblablabla occurs and Condition <C> evaluates to TRUE, then generate Event <Z>, right?

What do I have to configure Condition <C>? 

Do you have an example to show for me?

• 4.  Re: How Can I use two expressions on watches
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 05, 2017 10:17 AM

Luiz,

First, from the look of your watch, if using "ifAdminStatus.#" in your expression, I am assuming you are creating the watch on the device model, correct? If so, you have to be very careful with SpectroWatches as they are very expensive in terms of memory and CPU required to process them. The more watches on more models the more of a performance hit on the SpectroSERVER.

Using "ifAdminStatus.#" in your expression will cause the watch to check ALL instances of ifAdminStatus in the interfaces mib. If the device has a lot of interfaces configured, this could also cause a significant performance hit on the device. If this watch is active on many models, you could cause a serious performance issue with the SpectroSERVER.

We need to find some way to limit either the number of devices you create the watch on or the number of interfaces you want to check the status of ifAdminStatus on so you do not run into any of these possible performance issues with the SpectroSERVER or the device.

This can be done by using Global Collections and the Policy Manager. 

If the watch has to be on the device model, create a Global Collection populated with only those device model where the watch needs to be created. Create the watch but Inactive by default. Then create a Policy which will activate the watch on only those models contained within the Global Collection. This is documented in detail in the Policy Manager section of the documentation. 

If you can create a Global Collection that contains only the interface models you want to check for the status of ifAdminStatus, you can create the watch on the interface model Inactive by default and then create a Policy which will activate the watch on only those models contained within the Global Collection.

As for checking the value of ifAlias, if creating the watch on interface models contained within a Global Collection, you may be able to use the Search Criteria for the Global Collection to not include those models. If not, you will need to create an Event Condition rule to check the value of X_ifAlias attribute id 0x13224. The reason I recommend using X_ifAlias is because it is an internal database attribute where ifAlias is an external attribute where Spectrum will have to do an snmpget to get the value. The Condition Rule would looks something like the following:

If you have to use the device, then getting the value of ifAlias for the interface is going to be more difficult. You would have to use ifAlias you could not use X_ifAlias. In addition, you would have to have a way to get the value if ifAlias for the same instance in the interfaces table as ifAdminStatus. For that you would need to attach an Event Procedure to event generated from the watch. This again, adding to the resources requirements in order to get the results you are looking for.

Joe

• 5.  Re: How Can I use two expressions on watches

Posted Apr 06, 2017 09:37 AM

Hello Joe,

Thinking about facing more of a performance hit on SpectroServer, has been suggested by Support Team CA for use a GC Search with all interfaces that contains INTERFACES_LAN_ACESSO, then, using the Policy with rule to change the values: GeneratePortStatusAlarms and AlarmOnLinkDownTrap

It's working very well for me!

By doing that, we have another way to do a double check if have some changes on device, for example, by changing the description of interface to TRUNK on device, I have created a GC Search to find all interfaces "Does not contains": INTERFACES_LAN_ACESSO then, using this, we are using the same policy above but with differente rule, check the rules:

Thank you for your suggestion

Cheers,

Luiz