DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  email notification from service performance manager tests

Posted Nov 20, 2015 03:22 AM

Hi,

I'm monitoring a few https url and need to configure email notifications when websites are down. I'm using Service Performance Manager http tests for testing.

The problem is when I need send emails for one url to one person and for other url - to other person. I can't find where to set filter from which url alarm comes.

Any ideas?

Adrijus

• 2.  Re: email notification from service performance manager tests

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 20, 2015 02:55 PM

Adrijus

Hello, can you please provide some more information on how you are configuring these https tests?

Are you using Spectrum or eHeatlh?

Brian

• 3.  Re: email notification from service performance manager tests

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 23, 2015 04:00 PM

Hi,

You can make a monitor OID within sysedge and call an action file to evaluate this down trap to send your email.

monitor oid <oid> <index> <flags> <interval> <stype>[/<scale>] <oper> <thresh> ['<descr>' ['<action>' ['<objClass>' '<objInst>' '<objAttr>' <severity>]]]

The Action file (powershell, or Shell script, etc..) Could make use of SMTP to send an email or sysedges email.exe. So it is accomplish able within systemedge.

Systemedge has a built in utility which has some email ability you may want to review the SystemEDGE/bin/email.exe which in its usage line,

email.exe [-v] [-s (stdin)] [-r smtp-server] [-xhdrf filename] source-addr dest-addr[,dest-addr] 'subject' 'message'

Actions are very powerful and can be done based on an event.

If this could be of use as a possible soloution, please let me know and if you would like further details.

Thanks.

• 4.  Re: email notification from service performance manager tests

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 24, 2015 07:55 AM

Sorry just to add to this in-case I left out a few details.

When you create a svcrsp test (a plugin to sysedge). You specify the index, The index falls under the main svcrsptable,

.1.3.6.1.4.1.546.16.6.10.1 svcrsptableentry

The table has attributes and OIDS.

The attribute,

Name svcRspTableErrorCode

.1.3.6.1.4.1.546.16.6.10.1.39.<+yourindex>

The error code returned by the test.  The values are specific to

each test type.  When possible, the standard numeric error codes

for each test will be used (e.g. HTTP 404).

So assuming you created a svcrsp for a website under index 53

You could create a monitor OID (see above post) for the 1.3.6.1.4.1.546.16.6.10.1.39.53 with an appropriate operator like not equal 200 to perform the action of email.exe and pass the arguments of who you want to mail, etc... For another test / site you can do the same, for a different site and if needed with the separate arguments for a different email user.

* Just a side note Actions typically occur at every state change so there is usually a script written along with the action to evaluate the automatically passed argument of the trap type. So you may want to take a review of the below tech doc.

* http://www.ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/tec1567723.aspx

Hopefully this adds/clarifies my above post.

• 5.  Re: email notification from service performance manager tests

Posted Dec 02, 2015 09:57 AM

adrijus.makuska, As BrianFlad was alluding to this might best be done on the manager side... If you can confirm your manager and version we can loop in the appropriate resources so we can get you the info you need to resolved this problem.

Otherwise you could use Self Monitors and Actions within the sysedge agent as mentioned by Charles_Lilienkamp

• 6.  Re: email notification from service performance manager tests

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 11, 2015 03:51 PM

Adrijus

Please let us know if you still require assistance with this problem.

Brian