DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  How to treat the same OID in two ways with CAPC

Posted Jul 26, 2016 07:55 AM

Hi,

We would like to treat the same OID in two differents ways:  as a counter (increasing value) on one side:

<Attribute name="astConfigCallsProcessed" external="true" type="Long">

<Documentation>"The total number of calls processed through the Asterisk PBX since last

restart."</Documentation>

<Source>1.3.6.1.4.1.22736.1.2.6.0</Source>

<IsIndex>false</IsIndex>

<IsKey>true</IsKey>

<NeedsDelta>false</NeedsDelta>

</Attribute>

and the second way in a way to get a Rate:

<Attribute name="astConfigCallsProcessed" external="true" type="Long">

<Documentation>"The total number of calls processed through the Asterisk PBX since last

restart."</Documentation>

<Source>1.3.6.1.4.1.22736.1.2.6.0</Source>

<IsIndex>false</IsIndex>

<IsKey>true</IsKey>

<NeedsDelta>true</NeedsDelta>

</Attribute>

We have three questions:

1) in order to do that, do we have to define two metric families ? we tried to get the two attributes defined in the same file, but the first definition was ignored and only the second one got data collected

2) what is the purpose the the <Rate> tag (which is not used above) ? The doc days: "Provides an extra reporting field, “Average Rate,” calculated as AVG (metric value / time)."  but we got that reporting field already without setting Rate to true

3) if Rate=true, the Units tag is mandatory. In our case, the available units don't really apply "Percent, Packets, PacketsPerSecond, DiscardedPackets,DiscardedPacketsPerSecond, ErroredPackets, ErroredPacketsPerSecond, Bits, BitsPerSecond,Bytes, BytesPerSecond, Microseconds, Milliseconds, UnixTime". Is there no way to define custom units ?

thanks,

Veronique

• 2.  Re: How to treat the same OID in two ways with CAPC

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 26, 2016 02:54 PM

Hello Veronique,

1 - I suspect the reason you had trouble adding the two entries for the same OID is using the same name for both attributes. I would guess that if you tried using a different name for each, that the import would work better and you'd see both new metrics.

2 - Where in the docs is that reference to it being an extra reporting field? As far as what the Rate represents this page from the online Wiki documentation may answer that:

Rate Metrics - CA Performance Management - 2.8 - CA Technologies Documentation

Thanks,

Michael

• 3.  Re: How to treat the same OID in two ways with CAPC

Posted Jul 27, 2016 02:40 AM
      |   view attached

Dear Michael,

Thanks for answering !

1.      I did use different names in fact, and the import worked well. But only the second attribute got populated with data.

2.      It is referenced on https://docops.ca.com/ca-performance-management/2-8/en/building/self-certification/self-certification-xml/metric-family-xml-structure#MetricFamilyXMLStructure-AttributeGroup(MetricFamily)

Thanks, Veronique

• 4.  Re: How to treat the same OID in two ways with CAPC

Posted Jul 27, 2016 07:15 AM

You won't be able to see that data, unless you have it on another metric family, with a different vendor certification. I tried to do the same thing that you're trying now: have 2 values, one that should be treated as counter and the second one as gauge, based on the same OID. It does not work. I'm suspecting that the DC is building a list of all OIDs that it should query for a certain device, based on the metric family, vendor certification, poll interval. If you have specified the same OID twice, you'll only see data in one of those. If you figure a way of obtaining it, I'm interested in such a solution.

I opted in having a new metric family defined that I'm using for all nondelta values.