DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  Proxy Models vs.  Maintenance Mode part 2

Posted May 17, 2016 10:19 AM

Hi everyone,

i've already had a thread regarding the distinctness between proxy models and models in maintenance mode in Spectrum 9:
    Differentiate Proxy Models from Models in Maintenance Mode

Now we've noticed the following behaviour:

If someone within Spectrum 9.4.3 puts a proxy model in maintenance mode, and puts it back out, it will no longer be a proxy model.

We can reproduce it with every device we've tried so far. This is unwanted for us, as operators will set devices in mainteance on request of our customers, and the operators in our environment can't differentiate proxy models from fully managed models.
    In the mentioned thread, it is stated that the behaviour has been changed in Spectrum 10.1, so that isEventCreationEnabled will only have impact on proxy models.

This could be a way to work around the behaviour stated above. Is there any way to see this behaviour (maybe to be enabled optionally) in Spectrum 9.4? If not: is there any other way to prevent disabling maintenance mode on devices to disable the "Is Proxy Model" setting?

King Regards

Marco

• 2.  Re: Proxy Models vs.  Maintenance Mode part 2

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 17, 2016 12:30 PM

Marco,

I was responsible for changing this behavior in 10.1 in an attempt to try and clear up this confusing behavior.  The work is currently only available in 10.1, and this topic can be particularly confusing.  However, why would you want to put a proxy model in maintenance?

Thanks,

Todd

• 3.  Re: Proxy Models vs.  Maintenance Mode part 2

Posted May 17, 2016 04:15 PM

I would echo this question.  If it's a problem of Operators unintentionally putting a Proxy Model into Maintenance Mode, perhaps you could try hiding the Proxy Models from view using Security Strings.

• 4.  Re: Proxy Models vs.  Maintenance Mode part 2
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 18, 2016 05:14 PM

Hello Marco

You can try this workaround method:

1.Create a watch to look for proxy models

2. Edit OneClick to be able to view proxy models in Locator searches

o    See this Tuesday Tip to complete steps 1 + 2:

o    https://communities.ca.com/message/97564727

3. Create a policy to keep isEventCreationEnabled attribute to No

o    See the instructions to Create a Policy:

o    https://docops.ca.com/ca-spectrum/9-4-3/en/managing-network/policy-manager/creating-policies/create-a-policy-in-policy-manager

4. Apply the policy to a Global Collection(s)

5. Use the Locator search to find the proxy models and add them to the Global Collection(s) if necessary

I hope that helps!

~Jay

• 5.  Re: Proxy Models vs.  Maintenance Mode part 2

Posted May 19, 2016 05:21 AM

Hi Jay,

thank you for that suggestion. This sounds usefull for my case, and i will give it a try.

Regarding the reasons to set proxy models in Maintenace mode:

Can anyone explain me how proxy models would behave if a bad link will occur and the "real" device model is set to maintenance mode?

It seems like MM has been used to prevent bad link alarms in the past.

But also: there are a lot of diifferent teams who model in Spectrum, and even more teams who are able and should be able to set mainteance mode, and not all of them are able to differentiate proxy models from the real ones.

Regards

Marco

• 6.  Re: Proxy Models vs.  Maintenance Mode part 2

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 19, 2016 09:34 AM

Marco,

Are you familiar with the proxy overlay work in 10.1 ?  This allows operators to easily distinguish between proxy and non-proxy models, but in either case maintenance mode( isManaged=FALSE ) or proxy model( isEventCreationEnabled=FALSE ), no alarms will be asserted against the device.  There is no reason, in my opinion, to put proxy model into maintenance mode and why I prevent this in 10.1.

If I thought it wouldn't create more confusion, I would actual change the name of IsEventCreationEnabled attribute to IsProxyModel, and then reverse the sematics.  However, I think that would create a bigger mess, so I decided to leave it as is, with just a few minor changes to how IsManaged interacts with isEventCreationEnabled.

-Todd

• 7.  Re: Proxy Models vs.  Maintenance Mode part 2

Posted May 19, 2016 09:41 AM

Hi Todd,

i am familiar with the overlay work in 10.1, but unfortunately the environment i'm talking about is not yet on 10.1, but 9.4.3.

So if i would take a model in Maintenance mode and leave the proxy models out of maintenance mode, there won't be any bad link alarms displayed on the proxy models, if they occur while the "main" device is in mm?

That would be good and i could prevent some devices from losing the proxy model state by telling the network engineers not to set maintenance mode on the proxy models.

But to fully get around this, i think i will give the workaround mentioned by Jay a try within this environment.

Thanks in advance

Marco