DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  CAPC Web Services - Create Dashboards

Posted Feb 10, 2016 03:49 PM

Hello everyone. This is my first post. I am a new user to CAPC. I hope someone here can point me in the right direction. I have searched scores of pages and documents and cannot find any help. OK. Here is what I would like to do.

In CAPC we are building Dashboards and using them as Site Pages. We need to build more than 100 and do not want to build them by hand through the GUI. That is too time consuming and painful. What I would like to do is define them in XML and upload them into CAPC. I was able to export a sample Dashboard from CAPC. Unfortunately, the definition is about 27,000 lines long. That is too much to absorb and modify. Plus, I have no documentation to explain what the various elements are. It is not practical to take my sample, tweak it, and re-import it.

That's the background. Has anyone in this group created complete Dashboards via the Web Services API? Does anyone know the minimum required definition to create working Dashboards via XML? If so, I covet your aid, guidance, and assistance.

Thanks,

Wayne

• 2.  Re: CAPC Web Services - Create Dashboards
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 06, 2016 08:37 AM

We have the ability to export / import a dashboard - for example, if you built one in dev, and wanted to move it to prod.

Here is the documentation

Dashboards Web Service - CA Performance Management - 2.6.0 - CA Technologies Documentation

We also have the ability to copy a dashboard:

Copy a Dashboard - CA Performance Management - 2.6.0 - CA Technologies Documentation

Copy a Dashboard

Last update January 21, 2016

To customize an existing dashboard, create a copy, which maintains the layout style, views, context, and all other characteristics of the original dashboard. To create a copy of a dashboard, a user needs the Create a Dashboard role right.

Follow these steps:

1. Open the dashboard that you want to copy.
    2. Click More in the upper right corner, and click Copy Dashboard.
    3. Select the dashboard menu where you want the copied dashboard to appear.
      By default, the copied dashboard appears in the same drop-down list as the original dashboard.
    4. Specify the name for the dashboard in the dashboard menu.
    5. Specify the title that appears at the top of the dashboard page.
    6. (Optional) Select the desired views and layout.
    7. Click Save.
      A copy of the dashboard with your desired settings is created. Your new dashboard opens.

I think maybe copying a dashboard, modifying it, then saving it might be your best bet.  In my travels I have not seen anyone who has successfully created a dashboard through REST /  web services.  Maybe our services guys have, but I have not seen any examples

• 3.  Re: CAPC Web Services - Create Dashboards

Posted Mar 09, 2016 02:40 PM

I have discovered that creating a dashboard via REST is not a viable option – especially for any complicated dashboards. There are too many elements that have to be identified by a numeric identifier, rather than name, to make it practical.

Wayne

(540) 525-0588