DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  Is there an atribute in Spectrum 10.1, which tells me the state (primary or secondary) of a WLC?

Posted Mar 10, 2016 10:02 AM

One of our WLC has switched from the secondary to the primary machine.

Because I did'nt found any events about this action I'm looking for an attribute which tells me the state of a WLC.

My second question is:

I know there is an Alarm, if the secondary machine  is active.

Is there a "Switching back to primary" event?

Regards, Frank

• 2.  Re: Is there an atribute in Spectrum 10.1, which tells me the state (primary or secondary) of a WLC?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 10, 2016 12:51 PM

Check the attribute  "cRFStatusUnitState" on WLC device to know the state.

• 3.  Re: Is there an atribute in Spectrum 10.1, which tells me the state (primary or secondary) of a WLC?

Posted Mar 11, 2016 02:25 AM

Thank you, karja06.

This helps, but...

... in our environment only the active part of  a WLC pair is manageable.

So, I afraid, "cRFStatusUnitState" is every time "active".

How about other "cRFStatus..." attributes?

Is there one  (e.g. cRFStatusPrimaryMode?) which tells me, whether this is the primary or the secondary unit?

Regards, Frank

• 4.  Re: Is there an atribute in Spectrum 10.1, which tells me the state (primary or secondary) of a WLC?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 11, 2016 04:04 AM

cRFStatusPrimaryMode attribute can be used to check which WLC pair is primary.

Value is true if it is Primary , false if Secondary

• 5.  Re: Is there an atribute in Spectrum 10.1, which tells me the state (primary or secondary) of a WLC?

Posted Mar 11, 2016 01:35 AM

Hello Frank,

below are the events and alarms when the WLC is failover.

Severity,"Created On","Name","Event","Created By","Cleared On","Cleared By","Event Type","Event Precedence","Model Type Name"

Major,"Mar 3, 2016 3:25:05 PM SGT","xxxxxxx","This notification is generated when Secondary WLC has switched the state to active.","System","Mar 10, 2016 11:31:33 AM SGT","xxxx","0x6760012","10","GnCiscoDev"

Critical,"Mar 10, 2016 5:50:47 PM SGT","xxxxxxx","Device xxxxxxx of type GnCiscoDev has stopped responding to polls and/or external requests.  An alarm will be generated.","System","Mar 10, 2016 5:51:33 PM SGT","System","0x10d35","10","GnCiscoDev"

,"Mar 10, 2016 5:51:33 PM SGT","xxxxxxx","Model xxxxxxx of type GnCiscoDev has been contacted.","System","","","0x10301","10","GnCiscoDev"

,"Mar 10, 2016 5:51:33 PM SGT","xxxxxxx","The condition causing the loss of contact on the device model has cleared ( name - xxxxxxx, type - GnCiscoDev ).","System","","","0x10d30","10","GnCiscoDev"

,"Mar 10, 2016 5:50:47 PM SGT","xxxxxxx","Contact has been lost with model xxxxxxx of type GnCiscoDev.","System","","","0x10302","10","GnCiscoDev"

• 6.  Re: Is there an atribute in Spectrum 10.1, which tells me the state (primary or secondary) of a WLC?

Posted Mar 11, 2016 03:10 AM

Thank you, rajesh3.3 .

Based on your informations I've found event "0x6760013".

And now I know, this event will not occur in our environment. I think the reason is, that our inactive unit is not manageable.

So, I think, I have to continue to look for an attribute which tells me the state (primary or secondary) of a WLC.

Regards, Frank

• 7.  Re: Is there an atribute in Spectrum 10.1, which tells me the state (primary or secondary) of a WLC?

Posted Mar 11, 2016 04:25 AM

Hey Frank,

You are right, the attribute cRFStatusPrimaryMode, which tells the MODE of WLC device, whether it is Primary(true) or not(false)

The attribute cRFStatusUnitState, tells the UNIT STATUS of WLC device (Active/StadbyCold/StandbyHot/etc)

Since, non-active WLC device is disabled with SNMP (it is designed from Cisco in case of AP-SSO configured) , we can only observe cRFStatusUnitState=active case.

The above reason holds good even in case of Events/Alarms; Spectrum will recognize mode changes on active WLC device (since it is SNMP) and raise events, possible events are,

In case of WLC fail-over (Event on Secondary WLC)

0x6760012 - This notification is generated when Secondary WLC has switched the state to active. - SECONDARY WLC IS NOW ACTIVE (Major)

In case fail-over is reverted (Event on Primary WLC)

0x6760013 - This notification is generated when Primary WLC Controller has changed the state from standby to active. - Clear event 0x6760012

• 8.  Re: Is there an atribute in Spectrum 10.1, which tells me the state (primary or secondary) of a WLC?

Posted Mar 11, 2016 05:42 AM

Thank you!

As I wrote earlier, event 0x6760013 does not occur in our environment.

I think, i'll try a watch for cRFStatusPrimaryMode.

Regards, Frank