DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  Can I create a Global Collection based on Alarms

Posted Aug 31, 2016 10:57 PM

Is it possible to have a global collection based on an alarm type

Scenario is I'd like a dynamic Global Collection with membership based on if a specific alarm is generated on a model, when it is, add that model to  the GC.

This is for using Event Admins as part of a South Bound Gateway implementation

I have set the sending systems up to send continuous status traps which kind of acts as a heartbeat

I want to put in a rule that says if no trap received after a period of time create a special alarm "no trap recevied" which will indicate that maybe the source model is no longer sending, most likely due to the test that generating the trap no longer existing. From there the idea is that if no trap (set or clear) received then generate that special alarm and add it to a global collection for investigation

• 2.  Re: Can I create a Global Collection based on Alarms

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 01, 2016 08:26 AM
      |   view attached

Hi Jason,

No, Global Collections cannot be created based on alarm attributes.  They can only be created based on model attributes.

Instead of generating an alarm maybe you could use an event procedure to update the Notes field or one of the USER_* attributes to populate certain text then create a GC from that text.

Cheers

Jay

• 3.  Re: Can I create a Global Collection based on Alarms

Posted Sep 01, 2016 08:40 AM

How about using Alarm filters? Sounds more like filtering alarms than filtering devices.

• 4.  Re: Can I create a Global Collection based on Alarms

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 01, 2016 08:59 AM
      |   view attached

Good point!  And that would be much easier I would think…