DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  Wireless Controllers and Access Point Deployment Scenarios?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 09, 2015 02:09 AM

Hello Spectrum Community Members,

We are seeking inputs on the deployment scenarios for Wireless Controllers (WLC's) and Access Points (AP's). By talking to few customers we figured out that mostly the deployments would be with failover scenarios.

There are two types of failover scenarios possible.

1. WLC’s with High availability- Here there will be a heartbeat between WLC’s and automatically if one WLC goes down the other will be active. We have multiple configurations such as (Active-Active, Active-Standby, etc)
    2. AP’s can be configured in such a way that both primary and secondary WLC name can be fed into an AP. AP automatically switches to WLC2 if WLC1 is not responding. This is simplest failover configuration. Here the WLC’s are not HA aware and no heart beat happens between WLC’s. But always an AP will be up and running under some WLC.

We seek feedback on what is the most used scenario from the above mentioned ones. If you wish to give me a personal feedback then you can reach out to me at Nagesh.Jaiswal@ca.com.

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,

Nagesh

• 2.  Re: Wireless Controllers and Access Point Deployment Scenarios?

Posted Oct 15, 2015 10:43 AM

Community,  anyone interested in providing feedback to the Spectrum Team? please comment if interested

• 3.  Re: Wireless Controllers and Access Point Deployment Scenarios?

Posted Oct 18, 2015 07:11 AM

We have two Cisco 8510's in an Active-Standby configuration managing 3000 access points

• 4.  Re: Wireless Controllers and Access Point Deployment Scenarios?

Posted Oct 19, 2015 09:24 AM

I'm interested in providing feedback to the Spectrum Team.

Regards

• 5.  Re: Wireless Controllers and Access Point Deployment Scenarios?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 19, 2015 10:17 AM

Hi ThiBorges,

You can drop me an email with your feedback at Nagesh.Jaiswal@ca.com.

Thanks,

Nagesh

• 6.  Re: Wireless Controllers and Access Point Deployment Scenarios?

Posted Oct 19, 2015 09:29 AM

Both.  Sites that have not yet been upgraded to use a WISM2 or a 5508, i.e. sites that are running a 4400 or legacy WISM, use the second model that you described.  In the case of a WISM2 or 5508 deployment, we are using a HA configuration using the WS-SVC-WISM2-HA-K9 or AIR-CT5508-HA-K9, as the case may be.

• 7.  Re: Wireless Controllers and Access Point Deployment Scenarios?

Posted Oct 19, 2015 10:40 AM

bumping thread back to top, anyone else have feedback?