DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  Spectrum MAC Address Determination of pingable models

Posted Jul 13, 2015 02:18 PM

hello,

can anybody tell how Spectrum is determining the MAC Address of pingable models?

We often see unconnected pingable models, which have no MAC determined, and I suspect the missing MAC is one of the issues Spectrum is not able to resolve the conenction properly.

I found this Modeling - CA Spectrum - 9.4.1, 9.4.2, and 9.4.2.1 - CA Wiki , but I think it's not related to pingables in general.

IP Address and MAC Address Determination

When modeling cluster nodes, the IP address and MAC address assigned in CA Spectrum depend on the type of modeling used, as follows:

• For SNMP modeling, CA Spectrum automatically attempts to determine the addresses by querying the resident SNMP agent.
    • For ICMP (Pingable) modeling (when not a virtual device), CA Spectrum uses the addresses that the AIM provides.Icon

Important! For ICMP (Pingable) modeling, addresses that CA Spectrum Virtual Host Manager sets take precedence over Cluster Manager.

If the SNMP modeling or Virtual Host Manager cannot supply a valid IP address or MAC address, the AIM value is used.

• 2.  Re: Spectrum MAC Address Determination of pingable models
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 14, 2015 01:08 AM

You are right .

Querying the Arp tables is the only way that the SpectroSERVER can attempt to obtain the Mac Address for

a Pingable model.

If the SS is able to pick the Mac Address of pingable model ,  it would then need to be able to find it in the transparent bridge tables on

the connected switch to make the connection.

Hope this helps

• 3.  Re: Spectrum MAC Address Determination of pingable models

Posted Aug 03, 2015 11:25 AM

Is there a different SpectroSERVER handling between

- MAC is determined by SS itself, thorugh ARP

and

- MAC is put to pingable model manually

to discover the connections?

I tried to set the verified MAC of a pingable manually - but a Discover Connections was not able to resolve this connection to the connected switch interface (SNMP model).

• 4.  Re: Spectrum MAC Address Determination of pingable models

Posted Aug 04, 2015 05:36 AM

Hello Robert,

Did you check the transparent bridge table on the switch to see if this MAC exists ?

• 5.  Re: Spectrum MAC Address Determination of pingable models

Posted Jul 14, 2015 07:50 AM

IP of PIngable device (no redundant ip)  -> lookup arp tables -> lookup transparant bridge tables.  Offcourse does not work when NAT between managed hosts and LS