DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  Wireless LAN Monitoring.

Posted Mar 20, 2015 05:35 PM

I have a opportunity, A local Managed Service Provider is looking for a solution to monitor wireless LAN environment (heat maps, bandwidth, frequencies, etc.) for multiple providers like Cisco, Aruba, 3COM, HP, Ruckus, Avaya, Alcatel, etc. in order to enable a service for its customers. Please let me know if Spectrum or UIM could cover this requirement and also if there is available material to make a presentation.

• 2.  Re: Wireless LAN Monitoring.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 23, 2015 09:23 AM

Hi Arnaldo,

For all the devices that are mentioned e.g. Cisco, Aruba, Ruckus etc, are you looking for SNMP or Non-SNMP way of monitoring data. If you are looking for Non-SNMP way of monitoring (most of these devices provides interfaces to collect performance statistics) CAMM can collect the information. Many of the devices from these providers are already certified with CAMM e.g. Cisco (Starent PDSN, Starent SGSN, Starent GGSN), Ruckus (FemtoCell Gateway), Alcatel (5620SAM, eNodeB, 7750HRU, SA, CP, DSRDSM, XMSIMS, EPC). Currently CAMM integration is available for the CAPM and eHealth. It can be integrated with Spectrum as well via SNMP.

• 3.  Re: Wireless LAN Monitoring.

Posted Mar 24, 2015 10:28 AM

Adding to Manvendra's comments... we can use southbound gateway to integrate CAMM with Spectrum.

• 4.  Re: Wireless LAN Monitoring.

Posted Mar 25, 2015 04:31 PM

Not really, this it's for client or enterprise wireless (no carrier), and this kind of devices works with SNMP, i know with spectrum i can monitoring, but, for example. If i want a heatmap, or maybe i need to know about channel or band or maybe SSID from acces points or wireless lan controllers. I do not know if I leave understanding.

Thanks for you help.

Greetings

Arnaldo

• 5.  Re: Wireless LAN Monitoring.

Posted Mar 28, 2015 05:06 PM

I don't think Spectrum can perform what you ask for. If you look at something like Cisco Prime and Aruba Airwave, these are products which focus in this arena, and Spectrum can manage the devices, but isn't focused on managing the AP's. You could add the Controllers and get alarms for those if they were certified, but for example, Cisco Prime does a lot more analysis and wireless specific checks that Spectrum would not get.

What would be good is if for example a device like a Cisco 5508 is seen as a 'wireless' specific device, that you could see what AP's are active (you can get this browsing the entity MIB.

I'm sure CA will include some extra wireless management capabilities in the near future as this is an area a lot of customers are currently or going to be expanding in.

• 6.  Re: Wireless LAN Monitoring.

Posted Nov 05, 2015 06:36 AM

I have a similar challenge with Wireless Access Point topology and management being the biggest obstacle is discovery and info correlation  on Ruckus Wifi

Is there some plans on Ruckus with Spectrum + UIM ..

I have a deal hinging on this..

• 7.  Re: Wireless LAN Monitoring.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 05, 2015 06:55 AM

Spectrum 10.1 release is coming up with Cisco Wireless Controller and Access Point Management. Currently the release is being beta tested by customers. For more information visit this link: https://wiki.ca.com/display/CASP101/Release+Information

Thanks,

Nagesh

• 8.  Re: Wireless LAN Monitoring.

Posted Nov 06, 2015 11:42 AM

Looking forward to this addition.
    The information link was last modified in 2014 ?

"Created by Thampi, Byju, last modified on Nov 05, 2014"