DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  Multiple spectroservers in one landscape

Posted May 20, 2015 06:08 AM

Hi there,

in our company we are running one spectroserver right now, but since its performance cant keep up with so much devices we want to add second server and run them both in DSS to share utilization. I finished reading administrator guide for this, but I am still bit of confused about it so I would like to ask. Is there a way to run both servers and see devices on them in one landscape?

• 2.  Re: Multiple spectroservers in one landscape

Posted May 20, 2015 09:17 AM

Hello Atavius,

the reponse is not easy. I try to explain.

First, devices are grouped by landscape and only one Spectro server is active.

If you add an another spectro server in a landscape, these others Spectro Servers are Fault tolerant servers.

If you have to add more devices that one Spectro server can support, you must add an another landscape.

See my screenshot below.

2015-05-20_15h12_04.png

Then when you have equipment spread over several landscapes, you must use Global Collections with use of proxy-model.

2015-05-20_15h14_33.png

I can explain to you if necessary.

Regards,

Pascal

• 3.  Re: Multiple spectroservers in one landscape

Posted May 20, 2015 09:34 AM

Have a look at the figure 3.

2015-05-20_15h18_28.png

This is the same equipment, Twice.

It belongs to 2 landscapes. 1 is green, always. it's just a shortcut for the oneclick to merge cross-landscape equipments in Global Collections.

See my screen 4.

2015-05-20_15h28_04.png

2015-05-20_15h31_48.png

I hope this help you.

• 4.  Re: Multiple spectroservers in one landscape
    Best Answer

Posted May 20, 2015 09:57 AM

Very confusing explanation for someone that does not know the ways of a distributed system.

Multiple SpectroSERVERs, 1 landscape = Fault Tolerant installation.

One SpectroSERVER starting with a precedence of 10 (default), the second one with precedence 20. The lowest level precedence running SpectorSERVER is the active one at a given time. So basically you have the same devices in 2 servers. One is an active backup.

Multiple SpectroSERVERs, multiple landscapes (2+) = Distributed Installation.

Each SpectroSERVER is monitoring different devices. What my predecessor is describing is called Fault Isolation in Distributed Installation. To benefit from system advanced analysis algorithms you have to control how devices are connected in the distributed installation. If there are any links between devices that reside in 2 different landscapes, then you should use what's called a Proxy model. Basically it's a device that resides in 2 different landscapes, but it's only creating alarms in one landscape. It is participating however in Fault Isolation, so you can understand what's the root cause of a problem at a given time.

There's also the third option: Distributed Fault Tolerant installation. Each SpectroSERVER in the Distributed installation has at least one FT SpectroSERVER running to takeover whenever the primary fails.

So, to distribute the load across multiple servers, you need a Distributed Installation, meaning more than one landscape.

You need to split the devices on two SpectroSERVERs. The Distributed installation is fairly simple: you just install the second SpectroSERVER with a new landscape handle and point the Location Server to the existing SpectroSERVER.

You have to move your devices from the exiting landscapes to the new one. Nowadays this is performed using Modeling Gateway.

• 5.  Re: Multiple spectroservers in one landscape

Posted May 20, 2015 10:29 AM

This is exactly what I want to explain.

Sorry if my english writing is not good.

• 6.  Re: Multiple spectroservers in one landscape

Posted May 20, 2015 10:10 AM

If there is enough time, I would wait  to (a stable release of) Spectrum 10.0.

Regards, Frank

• 7.  Re: Multiple spectroservers in one landscape

Posted May 20, 2015 10:30 AM

+1

• 8.  Re: Multiple spectroservers in one landscape

Posted May 25, 2015 02:18 AM

Hi,

could you please explain why? Will it offer some better functionality for DSS?

• 9.  Re: Multiple spectroservers in one landscape

Posted May 25, 2015 07:06 AM

You'll not need more than 1 SpectroSERVER. 1 SpectroSERVER should handle up to 10.000 de devices and 1.000.000 models.

• 10.  Re: Multiple spectroservers in one landscape

Posted May 27, 2015 02:59 AM

That's it and I think, the step from 1 server for all devices to DSS is  a great step for users and administrators.

• 11.  Re: Multiple spectroservers in one landscape

Posted Jun 10, 2015 05:40 AM

You also need to look at the risk of having all your eggs in one basked! The extra capacity is great, but if you have the hardware I would still keep some spread. Also remember start-up times will also be affected (model activation for 1 million models) will take 3 hours or so. This is the same concept when the large volume Hard drives came out. Do you have 4 x 1TB disks vs 1 x 4TB disk. If one drive fails out of 4 that is not as bad as 1 4TB drive with all the data!

If you have 99 landscapes though, it would be good to reduce that footprint by 33-66 (or more) percent though!