DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  CAPC - 'Top Least Available Interfaces' view

Posted Aug 23, 2014 08:07 AM

Hi,

is there a view available in CAPC 2.3.3 that shows the Top Least Available Interfaces? I believe, it's available in NPC.

Thanks!

Bernd

• 2.  Re: CAPC - 'Top Least Available Interfaces' view
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 25, 2014 12:05 PM

Not if you're using IM as your data source. Interface Availability is not calculated.

• 3.  Re: CAPC - 'Top Least Available Interfaces' view

Posted Aug 25, 2014 12:26 PM

Correct. That is actually in my top 10 list of things IM2.0 can't do that NV can.

• 4.  Re: CAPC - 'Top Least Available Interfaces' view

Posted Aug 26, 2014 04:19 AM

A bit sad, isn't it?

Thanks for the replies!

• 5.  Re: CAPC - 'Top Least Available Interfaces' view

Posted Feb 22, 2018 11:57 AM

Oh that sucks. Interface availability is more important than interface utilization (see Robb Webb's CAW presentation "8 Metrics That Matter"). What people don't understand is that you don't need to look at utilization unless it's impacting a user. 100% utilization is not bad! You're getting 100% of what you're paying for! That's great! Also interface utilization is a misnomer, since an interface transmits bit serially; which means that interfaces are never 64% utilized! They're either transmitting a bit or not. Interface utilization is a construct used to help us understand what percentage of a certain period that an interface was 100% utilized (transmitting a bit).

On my interface context, i need the following views on the first page (with the corresponding units):

Discards inbound (in packets per second)

Discards outbound (in bits per second)

Errors inbound (in bits per second)

Interface availability (in %)

CBQoS/CoS views

On the second page i need (all in % and in bps):

Interface utilization in/out

Stacked protocol trend in/out

Stacked tos in/out

top conversations

top hosts

On the third page i need:

interface details, group membership, polling rate, etc.

• 6.  Re: CAPC - 'Top Least Available Interfaces' view

Posted Feb 22, 2018 02:56 PM

Ok, looks like this metric is now polled and collected in the Interface metric family. However, no "Unavailability" metric is calculated in the metric family and CAPC never gained the ability NV had to do simple inverse calculations (i.e. adding a runtime metric that is equal to "(1-ifavail)*100". So, you can plot it as either a line chart or a stacked chart (which you have to build yourself) but you can't pick the colors of the availability series and you can't add an unavailability series because it doesn't exist in the metric family and can't be added to the view.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but this is too simple for you guys not to build out of the box. Get with the program CA.