DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  create groups with devices and selected interfaces

Posted Oct 27, 2014 11:36 AM

I need to create a group hierarchie that organises devices and selected interfaces. I already wrote a Perl script that uses web services to create groups and populate them with devices based on a csv-file. As of now, with each device the group also contains that device's interfaces, all of them. I would rather only see specific interfaces, those that I can identify by a e.g. special ifAlias.

I believe, I can configure each group not to include the children of managed items; therefore I would have no interface at all.

How would I then add the required interface? Can I create a rule like find interfaces where interface owner is member of this group and ifAlias starts with 'something'? How would I do this?

Or, perhaps, is there an easier way? All I want is being able to select a group context for a dashboard, and have the device views show data for the selected devices and interface views show data for only those specially filtered interfaces.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!

• 2.  Re: create groups with devices and selected interfaces

Posted Oct 27, 2014 11:44 AM

There may be a more efficient way, but you can create a group containing all the devices and their children. Then create a group underneath it with a rule that says "if the interface is in <the_parent_group> and the interface starts with 'something'". You could also create a child group just to contain the devices without containing the children in the same way.

• 3.  Re: create groups with devices and selected interfaces

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 27, 2014 12:37 PM

Bernd,

What release of CAPC are you using?

Are you creating the Groups under the primary Inventory tree somewhere, or under the 'Collections' tree?

Assuming we're discussing CAPC 2.3.3 or newer, you *should* be able to create a group with only Interfaces as members for reporting purposes.

Maybe creating a group with just interfaces as members via the CAPC UI, then using REST to export that group, would provide a good template for creating further groups that contain only select interfaces as needed.

Hope that helps!

Mike