DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  Option to remodel / re-interrogate models?

Posted Jun 18, 2014 09:48 PM

Hi There!

Why is there no option to re-model or re-interrogate a device model when required?

At the moment we have to destroy the model and recreate it, or in the case of different type models modify the newmm.pl script (which in my environment is only temporary anyways as wintel are, well, you know..)

Why can't CA implement an option for administrator users to right click a model and re-model it, re-interrogate it, re-discover it - whatever it takes to update the model object without having to destroy and recreate (which affects reporting)

Surely this would be a simple enough feature to develop in the next major release?

Right now I have about 8 critical models which are pingable only due to some esx work wintel did, and I can't re-discover by IP or name because it already exists, deleting it really isn't an option unless I do it at midnight at end of month.

Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks!

• 2.  Re: Option to remodel / re-interrogate models?

Posted Jun 23, 2014 09:10 AM

I suggest you put the old model in maintenance mode, create a new model with the same IP address, and disable duplicate MAC/IP checks. That way you don't lose event history/reporting on the old model. You can manually add a duplicate device through the Topology tab, don't use the Discovery Console.

Spectrum logic ties a lot of what is capable with a device (available attributes, child models, SPM capable, etc.) to the way the model is initially created. It would seem like a coding nightmare to completely reconfigure all those models/attributes/relations based on a delta on what changed.

• 3.  Re: Option to remodel / re-interrogate models?

Posted Jun 24, 2014 03:12 AM

Didn't work - spectrum still game the same alert

• 4.  Re: Option to remodel / re-interrogate models?

Posted Jun 25, 2014 09:48 PM

Are these Pingable models VMs ?

If they are then you can "upgrade" the VMs to snmp capable devices via the gui.

• 5.  Re: Option to remodel / re-interrogate models?

Posted Jan 16, 2015 03:43 PM

Is there a way to upgrade only one particular model, instead of upgrade all ICMP models to SNMP-capable models from the VCAIM model?

• 6.  Re: Option to remodel / re-interrogate models?

Posted Jan 19, 2015 01:22 AM

Hello Efrongia,

Yes.Possible with loss of data.

Follow these steps:

1. Deploy or enable an SNMP agent on the device, if required.

2. Model the device again using one of the following methods:

CA Spectrum Discovery

Model individual devices by IP address

When the new SNMP-capable model is created, CA Spectrum removes the previous model from Virtual Host Manager and deletes the model. At the next vCenter Server AIM polling cycle, CA Spectrum adds the SNMP-capable model to Virtual Host Manager in the Navigation panel.

More detals in VHM guide.

HTH

Kalyan