DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  CAPC 2.3.2 clean install fails

Posted May 27, 2014 06:26 PM

Upgraded test box to 2.3.3 and found a number of issues when using IE so decided to roll back.

Stopped the DA, DC, DR and all CAPC processes and uninstalled the various component from all 4 servers.  I wanted a clean install of 2.3.2 from scratch

Have install DR, DA and DC successfully.  Tested using the web services of the DA and the vertica adminTools on the DR

I then installed CAPC 2.3.2 and went to test and got the service is unavailable. 

Checked that EM, DM, SSO and console services all running which they were.

Went into MySQL on the CAPC server and noticed the install hadn't created the netqosportal database.

Checked the install logs and found there were failures.

Uninstalled CAPC again and this time also followed the how to cleanup after a failed install process to get rid of any garbage they the uninstall didn't cleanup.

Tried the install again and got the same problem.

I know the install file is not corrupt as this is the same file I used to "Upgrade" the same server from 2.2.2 sometime back.  The only difference now is I am trying to do a full install not an upgrade.

Has anyone else had issues installing CAPC 2.3.2 from scratch?

• 2.  RE: CAPC 2.3.2 clean install fails
    Best Answer

Posted May 29, 2014 06:45 PM

The problem occurs because the uninstall doesn't check if the process related to what it is installing are stopped.  In this case the old MySQL from the previous install was still running in memory and this locked out the installer from creating the netqosportal.

Just my opinion but I would have thought the first step in an uninstaller would be to kill off the processes of the application it is uninstalling.  Not in this case obviuosly

• 3.  RE: CAPC 2.3.2 clean install fails

Posted May 30, 2014 03:36 PM

Can you share some of the issues you found in 2.3.3?  I want to see if we see the same before upgrading our environment.

• 4.  RE: [.CA Performance Center] RE: CAPC 2.3.2 clean install fails

Posted May 30, 2014 03:43 PM
    I was planning to upgrade to .3 next week, so I too will be interested to hear what issues were experienced before I do so.

Thanks
    Chris

• 5.  RE: [.CA Performance Center] RE: CAPC 2.3.2 clean install fails

Posted Jun 01, 2014 06:33 PM
    cduryea:
    I was planning to upgrade to .3 next week, so I too will be interested to hear what issues were experienced before I do so. Thanks Chris

You do me to a test box don't you?

• 6.  RE: CAPC 2.3.2 clean install fails

Posted Jun 01, 2014 06:28 PM

Note the issues I found in 2.3.3 were Internet Explorer related and I didn't see the same problem in Firefox.  We don't support firefox in our environment though so MUST work with IE.  The version of IE being used is 9 running in IE8 browser mode

• when changing the setting on an IM Trend Chart (Device) on a new tab on the server/device context page:
      • the picklist to choose the Metic value to display was missing
      • the context type picklist was blank (should be device)
      • the Current Item field was expecting a Group. What???? This is device context.
      • the Cancel button did nothing (you had to click the top right corner X)
      • the Use Defaults button just presented the Please Wait spinning wheel and never finished
    • when changing the setting on an IM Trend Chart (Device) on an existing tab on the server/device context page
      • same as above except now the Context Setting are correct
      • resolution picklist is blank
      • goal line picklist is blank
      • Apply Changes picklist is blank
    • In the Edit Role dialog:
      • when you choose Menu Set and click the Edit button it does nothing
      • when you click the Edit button a second time it presents a Loading Dialog message but the dialog never opens (only way out is to close IE)
    • Edit Menu same disaster as edit role

By that stage I had had enough, told support to close the ticket and reinstalled 2.3.2 from scratch.  This was a test box so loosing data wasn't a problem.

Note: the only reason I was in a hurry to move from 2.3.2 to 2.3.3 was a fix to the F5 dashboards.  You will notice in the current versions the F5 tables show 10 items and say page 1 of 1 giving the false impression there are only 10 items.  Well guess what.  The fix wasn't there in 2.3.3 because another developer had overwritten what had been fixed.  There is a PTF for 2.3.3 to put the fix back.

Anyway thats my experience with 2.3.3.  I would be keen to hear if anyone else using IE > version 8 has had similar issues with 2.3.3.

• 7.  RE: CAPC 2.3.2 clean install fails

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 03, 2014 08:25 AM

Hi Andrew:

If you want to install CAPC from scratch the following is the procedure you should use to uninstall / cleanup

How to Cleanup CAPC Server to allow a reinstall of CAPC 

Title:

After running the full uninstaller for CAPC, and/or deleting the /opt/CA/PerformanceCenter directories it still does not allow you to reinstall CAPC.

Summary:

This is because there are still some references of CAPC being installing in other directories and files, which the uninstaller may not fully cleanup.

Solution:

After running the full uninstall as documented in the CAPC installation guide, open an SSH session or the Terminal locally on the server and run the following commands in order.

/etc/init.d/mysql stop

rm -rf /opt/CA /var/.com.*

rm /var/.com.zerog.registry.xml -f

rm -rf /opt/CA -f

rm /etc/init.d/caperfcenter* -f

cd /tmp

rm CAPerfCenterSetup.bin -f

#shutdown then reboot

shutdown -r now

Once the server comes back online, attempt the installation again.

I notice you said the following "Uninstalled CAPC again and this time also followed the how to cleanup after a failed install process to get rid of any garbage they the uninstall didn't cleanup."

So if you followed the above procedure and the install still does not work then you should open an issue and include remote engineer output from the CAPC

Thanks,

Joe

• 8.  RE: CAPC 2.3.2 clean install fails

Posted Jun 03, 2014 06:36 PM

Joe,

did you bother to read the whole of this thread?  Firstly you will see I have already marked this thread as answered.  Secondly I followed the process you just quoted and it is incomplete.  Lastly here is what I said on the second post to this thread:

"RE: CAPC 2.3.2 clean install fails

30/05/14 8:45 AM as a reply to Andrew1.

The problem occurs because the uninstall doesn't check if the process related to what it is installing are stopped. In this case the old MySQL from the previous install was still running in memory and this locked out the installer from creating the netqosportal.

Just my opinion but I would have thought the first step in an uninstaller would be to kill off the processes of the application it is uninstalling. Not in this case obviuosly"

>> End of story <<