DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  Fanout behavior

Posted Mar 28, 2014 03:29 PM

Hello nice people! I will like to understend the behavior when i create and connect the fanouts models eachothers or with another devices, the Infra Connector critical alarms show up and its do not clean automaticly and i solve it chaging the valur of the condition attribute to normal.

here a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKMBLQ2FhoA

Thanks

Diego

• 2.  RE: Fanout behavior

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 28, 2014 04:10 PM

Hi Diego,

The reason you are running into the issue is that you are connecting a fanout to a fanout model.  That is not a supported configuration.   You should use just one fanout in that conifiguation instead of 3.  Then I would expect you will get the desired results.

Cheers!

Jay

• 3.  RE: Fanout behavior

Posted Mar 28, 2014 04:28 PM

Thanks Jay !

• 4.  Re: RE: Fanout behavior

Posted Jul 23, 2015 09:05 AM

Hi Jason,

I am having same issue as described Diego. I understand that having two or more fanouts connected together is not to supported, but I would like to know what is the proper way to model two unmanaged devices in spectrum that are physically connected together - lets say two VDSL modems. Is there any solution to this?

• 5.  Re: Fanout behavior

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 23, 2015 10:45 AM

Hi Atavias,

Do they respond to ping?  Assuming they do, I would model those as pingables…

Cheers

Jay

• 6.  Re: RE: Fanout behavior

Posted Jul 24, 2015 02:04 AM

Hi Jason,

no they are not responding to ping. These type of devices are completely passive like optical converters, VDSL modems or even some wireless radio devices. We definitely want to be shown in topology, because it helps our technicians to see complete topology if they are diagnosing a problem on the network. My colleague figured out that specturm allows to connect multiple fanouts without generating alarms using proxy model, but I think this workaround is wrong  and there must be other way to deal with this type situation. Any advice appreciated.

• 7.  Re: RE: Fanout behavior
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 24, 2015 12:35 PM

Another option is to use the SharedMediaLink model instead of the Fanout model. One of the biggest issues with connecting two or more Fanout models together is the risk of Spectrum getting into a loop during the Fault Isolation process. The SharedMediaLink model looks like the Fanout model but participaets in the Fault Isolation process differently. Reference the "Modeling and Managing Your IT Infrastructure Administrator Guide" for more details.

Joe

• 8.  Re: RE: Fanout behavior

Posted Jul 27, 2015 08:46 AM

Hi Joe,

thank you for suggestion. I tried SharedMediaLink today and so far it behaves exactly like we need.

Thanks again

• 9.  Re: RE: Fanout behavior

Posted Jul 27, 2015 08:53 AM

OUTSTANDING! Please be sure to mark it as the correct answer.

Joe

• 10.  Re: RE: Fanout behavior

Posted Jul 27, 2015 09:23 AM

I definitely would like to do that, but I don't have such option since I did not started this discussion...