AutoSys Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  tried my first scheduled run and nothing happened

Posted Nov 18, 2019 12:30 PM
    Edited by stan teitelbaum Nov 18, 2019 01:39 PM
    ​Hi.  Today I edited the event on my new app in TEST , basically went to schedule, picked run hourly, resume at 10:30 am (this was about 10:25 am), chose the option that prevents the app from starting if its already running, uploaded and nothing.  And again nothing at 11:30 am.  I poked around a little and do see that the individual jobs show something like run daily.  And in the event, the userid is different (some super user that I believe is supposed to be relevant for production runs) from the one showing on the individual jobs.  Where does one start to look if the app just isn't kicking off according to an added  schedule?   I dont really know how to tell if an app is on hold so i'm not hitting the release and/or resume buttons just yet.  I checked with our admin and the ca clock is EST which is what i'm on.​

I followed the instructions at Schedule Workload and hit a wall.

• 2.  RE: tried my first scheduled run and nothing happened

Posted Nov 18, 2019 02:51 PM
    Here are some basics:
    • The schedule on the Event defines when the application triggers.  'Hourly' will will trigger the application at the top of each hour. "hourly starting 12:30" will be 12:30, 13:30, 14:30 etc
    • The fields under Specify Event control criteria should be used together.  Example.  The Schedule criteria is hourly, but I want it to not trigger for 21:00, 22:00, 23:00.  I can suspend the event at  20:59 and resume it at 23:01 to achieve this.
    • Do not trigger if active means that if an application triggers on the hour and has not yet completed by the top of the next hour, the application won't trigger for that hour.
    • The Run Frequency on each job defines what days that job will be included in the schedule.  In  your case you can have an application that triggers hourly, but includes different jobs depending on whether the day is a workday, Monday, holiday, first workday of week, etc.

Download an application, right click on the event and simulate it putting in a future time in the 'Schedule Criteria' (ex. 16:00).  This will give you a view of the jobs that will be included if the application triggers at that time, on that day (if you don't include a date it assumes today).
    Now edit the Event and add a schedule of 16:00 Nov 17 2019. Save the event.
    Go to the Monitor perspective.  Right click on the server and select 'Subscribe Active'.  This will give you a view of the active applications, including applications that become active while you are connected.  At 16:00 you will see your test application trigger and the jobs run.

Hopefully this is helpful.  There is a lot to Workload Automation, but once you get your head around it there isn't much you can't do from a scheduling perspective.  If you want set of jobs to run on the 3rd day after a waxing moon when Jupiter aligns with Mars, you can make that happen.

------------------------------
    Andy Reimer

• 3.  RE: tried my first scheduled run and nothing happened

Posted Nov 18, 2019 02:56 PM
    Here is what happened.  I chose do not trigger choice if the app is already active.  It turns out there were some failed runs from 1 or 2 weeks ago that were never "completed" in ca's "eyes".  I rt clicked them in the monitor mode and picked complete application (or something like that) from the dropdown.  but that wasn't the end of it.  a peer subscribed active and saw more items still active.  he completed those, set a new start time and all was well.​  I definitely want the do not trigger choice to stay in play.

• 4.  RE: tried my first scheduled run and nothing happened
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 18, 2019 03:06 PM
    What we most often do is check the 'Wait for previous generation' option on the application properties.  This way the application will generate when triggered but sit in APPWAIT status until all previous generations have completed.

Andy Reimer

• 5.  RE: tried my first scheduled run and nothing happened

Posted Nov 18, 2019 07:03 PM
    What we do more often is check the "Wait for previous generation" option on the application properties.  This way the application will trigger but will sit in APPWAIT status until previous generations have completed.

Andy Reimer