AutoSys Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  AutoSys SNMP traps

Posted Oct 29, 2018 10:41 AM

Hi,

We are going to develop a script to catch a snmp trap and redirect it to a monitoring tool.

I found in https://docops.ca.com/ca-workload-automation-ae/11-4-2/en/administrating/ae-administration/configure-ca-workload-automat…  the traps for R11.3.6.SP7 but I cannot find anywhere the exact format of the traps.

I can tell that on $AUTOSYS/snmp/CA.my I can see the exact format of the traps of the version installed but is there any way documented the exact format of the traps ( like CAmy) for all version of AutoSys (or at least from 4.5)?

thanks

José

• 2.  Re: AutoSys SNMP traps

Posted Oct 29, 2018 10:44 AM

One question: Why?

just send the MIB to the motioning team. and get their receivers and configure autosys to send teh trap. why do you want to be in the middle of the trap ? 

You are going about this all wrong, IMHO.

Steve C.

• 3.  Re: AutoSys SNMP traps

Posted Oct 29, 2018 10:51 AM

Hi Steve,

In the perfect world you are right, but at least I do not leave there

Our issues is that we want to redirect some alarms to a group, some other alarms to another group and so on. The whole process in my company is not flexible so we want to have a script that catches the snmp traps, and from there is able to create a message for the monitoring tool to send the ticket to the right team. All routing information would be within the script.

To get it done we need to capture the snmp trap information properly. So we need the exact format of the traps for all AutoSys versions used in our organization.

thanks

José

• 4.  Re: AutoSys SNMP traps

Posted Oct 29, 2018 10:58 AM

That is the job of the Monitoring team catch a trap and route the job. I and others have this working in almost every place we worked or currently work.

I actually use the group and application attributes to have our guys rout to the different teams. 

look at the snmp directory the MIB is there and the exact format is there. once again. I would contact the monitoring team and give them the mib and send them some traps.

Good Luck.. 

Steve C.

• 5.  Re: AutoSys SNMP traps

Posted Oct 29, 2018 11:07 AM

... and once again you are right. We also use application group fields job attributes to route tickets in some environments and we would like it to be our standar.

Our issue is that we have many many environments and some of them are inherit from other teams and in some of these environments the application and group fields are not available to route tickets as they are used by other purposes.

We are looking for something we can deploy in every autosys environment and flexible. Unfortunately working with our monitoring team is not as flexible as it should be.

that is why we need we want to use this script.

Is it documented the snmp trap structure for all autosys versions (at least from 4.5)?

thanks

José

• 6.  Re: AutoSys SNMP traps

Posted Oct 29, 2018 01:00 PM

it's labeled in the MIB and it is different between 4.5 and R11.3.X

I suggest that you come up with a naming convention and make sure everyone follows. 

Good structure begins with good organization of batch.

group and Attribute have little use for autosys. i certainly hope you do not use sendevent GRPAPP that is very dangerous. 

Good luck in your endeavor, I do not envy you

Steve C.