AutoSys Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Properties file for WA Agent Silent Installs

Posted Nov 08, 2017 09:25 AM

We are trying to put together a "Master" .properties file to use for WA Agent installs on Unix machines. We don't want to define a Manager at install, we want to let the Manager register itself upon connection. The manuals say...

You might decide not to define a scheduling manager in the properties file, because the scheduling manager can register itself once the agent is running. To allow agent to start without a manager, add this setting:

communication.nomanagers.abort.disable=true

We also want to define all of the Agents using a few other Parms that aren't included in the properties file, such as...

agent.spool.success.autocleanup=true
    runnerplugin.spool.clean.enable=true
    runnerplugin.spool.expire=10D
    runnerplugin.spool.sleep=24H

Do we HAVE to wait until AFTER the install to add these extra parms to the Agentparm.txt file, or can these be implemented at Install by adding them to the properties file or using the RAW_DATA section at the bottom of the properties file ?

• 2.  Re: Properties file for WA Agent Silent Installs
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 08, 2017 09:51 AM

I do not believe all parameters can be included in the "Master Properties file" and that is why CA introduced the agentparm_RAW_DATA file.

What I have done is created a "Master Properties" file and in it are variables that are dynamically changed when the agent is installed.

I have created a wrapper script that reads the "Master Properties" file and replaces the variables with server specific values in "installer.properties".  Once that has completed the script runs setup.bin.  After setup bin has completed successfully the wrapper script then makes some additional updates to agentparm.txt.

This required some coding on my part, but it creates a consistent configuration.

Note: in our environment I own the install process by it is run by the Sys Admin (I do not have the authority to run as 'root")

If you would like to discuss this further offline please send me a email at rromanowski@ups.com

• 3.  Re: Properties file for WA Agent Silent Installs

Posted Nov 10, 2017 09:55 AM

Hey Rick, thanks for detailed response. But you went way over my head with the scripting. You're talking to a 38 year Mainframe vet who logged into his 1st Unix machine about 3 years ago, so I'm still learning. I may take you up on that offer to reach out via email !

• 4.  Re: Properties file for WA Agent Silent Installs

Posted Nov 09, 2017 03:20 AM

Hello

At the end of your .properties file you can add this line:

../..

RAW_DATA=<location of the additional_parameters.txt>

And the RAW_DATA file  contains your additional  for example:

agent.spool.success.autocleanup=true
    runnerplugin.spool.clean.enable=true
    runnerplugin.spool.expire=10D
    runnerplugin.spool.sleep=24H

More details in the System Agent documentation HERE

Regards

Jean Paul

• 5.  Re: Properties file for WA Agent Silent Installs

Posted Nov 10, 2017 09:53 AM

Thanks Jean Paul, but with all due respect...I'm not one to start asking questions on a forum without having first tried to find the answers myself in the manuals and other sources. Pointing someone to the manuals really isn't helpful on a forum. We all know that most manuals are written like you already know most of the stuff. I was looking for some practical advice from people who are doing it in the field. I think I understand it, just add the additional parms to a file and point the RAW_DATA statement at that file on Installation. But what about formatting of the RAW_DATA file ? Any special formatting ? Does it have to be a particular file type ? Stuff like that.