Symantec Privileged Access Management

View Only
  • 1.  The unmount SMB message

Posted Nov 20, 2019 10:27 PM
    ​Hi All,

Please let me know a bit of knowledge about PAM.

My customer's session log is below.
    ================================
    11/16/2019 21:37 - - - - - - __xcd_local__ system - - - - - - - - - - PAM-UPD-0013: Primary network storage for session recording is up - - - -
    11/16/2019 21:37 - - - - - - rfscheck system - - - - - - - - - - Unable to mount SMB for Session Recording after 2 attempts - - - -
    (ellipsis)
    11/17/2019 21:38 - - - - - - __xcd_local__ system - - - - - - - - - - PAM-UPD-0015: Failover network storage for session recording is up - - - -
    11/17/2019 21:38 - - - - - - rfscheck system - - - - - - - - - - Unable to mount SMB for Session Recording after 2 attempts - - - -
    ================================

On 11/16 we did not know about unmounting.
    On 11/17 we knew it and could see the unmount message about Primary network (Not Secondary)

I would like to know how PAM recognizes when the network storage for session recording is up or down.
    (1) Does PAM check to connect to the network storage only once per day?
    (2) If so, PAM reconnected to Secondary storage at 11/17 21:38 ?  (Were we able to see the unmount message between 11/16 21:37 to 11/17 21:38?)
    (3) When does PAM show us the unmount message?

Thank you in advance.

Fumiko Nishimura​

• 2.  RE: The unmount SMB message

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 21, 2019 12:22 AM
    Hi Fumiko, The mount status is checked every 20 seconds. There may be a daily job running somewhere that disrupts the connection temporarily. My guess would be that there was only a brief interruption on each day, but I would think that you would know whether a mount was down for 24 hrs or just a short time.

• 3.  RE: The unmount SMB message

Posted Nov 21, 2019 06:12 AM
    Hi Ralf,

Thank you for prompt reply  always.
    I understand what you said,  if you do not mind, I would like to ask you more question.

(1) When does PAM changes the following status?
        [Configuration]>[Logs]>[Session Recording]>[External Storage]>[Mount Availability]

e.g. ( this is only my image)
        PAM changes the status to "unavailable" from "available" when the checking failed three times. (1 minutes)

(2) Does PAM changes the status to "available" from "unavailable" automatically or need the manual operation?
        In my customer's case, until he did opatate the mounting, It did not change even after resolving the network problem.

Best Regard,
    Fumiko.