Symantec Privileged Access Management

View Only
  • 1.  Privileged Identity Manager(CA ControlMinder ) 12.8 for windows 2012

Posted Mar 22, 2020 09:00 PM
    ​Hello,

I would like to make sure whether windows swerver 2012 (not R2) is supported for PIM v12.8.
    I was able to find that windwos server 2012 R2 is supported, but cannot find any discription for a no-R2 model.

<Solutions & Patches
    Broadcom remove preview
    Solutions & Patches
    This page contains the following topics: The following table contains details of the patches released for the current release: Oracle Java to AdoptOpenJDK Migration As outlined in the "Broadcom/CA - Java" notice dated July 25, 2019, Broadcom/CA software products will be migrating to support open-source implementations of Java.
    View this on Broadcom >
    >
    Do anyone know it?
    If 2012 (non-R2) model is supported, the software is same with 2012 R2?

Best Regards,
    UCHIDA Akio

• 2.  RE: Privileged Identity Manager(CA ControlMinder ) 12.8 for windows 2012
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 24, 2020 07:12 PM
    Akio

The support site only reflects the versions 12.8 has certified with. Support continues to support the earlier OS version for as long as the manufacturer extends support to that client. In this case mainstream support ended in 10/9/2018 but extended support can go until 10/10/2023 .... if you still have extended support with Microsoft then we should still support this. 

Joe Lutz

• 3.  RE: Privileged Identity Manager(CA ControlMinder ) 12.8 for windows 2012

Posted Mar 24, 2020 10:34 PM
    Hello Joseph,

Thank you very much for answering to my question.
    I was able to understand roughly what you mean.
    but ​I'm afraid I could not catch exact meaning.

In short,  is it recommended(or admitted) to install PIM v12.8 on a Windows 2012 (non-R2) server?
    Also, will you handle with issues if the users encounter something?

Kind Regards,
    UCHIDA Akio

• 4.  RE: Privileged Identity Manager(CA ControlMinder ) 12.8 for windows 2012

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 24, 2020 11:10 PM
    Akio

I was a little vague because the words support and certified mean 2 different things. Support means it "should" work and we can help if errors are encountered. The word certified means that we have tested this and know this works. It is "recommended" that you only install on certified versions but we understand there are older servers in production. So Yes support will help with issues but if an issue is found that is related to the older OS it may be required to open a support ticket with Microsoft or upgrade the OS to resolve an issue. That is why we only support operating systems that are supported by the OS Vendor,. So since Microsoft ended its support in 2018 if you do not have extended support with Microsoft you would not be able to open an issue with Microsoft. This could cause a situation where something might not be able to be resolved since we cannot open support tickets with Microsoft for its unsupported operating systems. While you might never find yourself in this scenario I do feel it necessary to spell out.

I do want to ask you if you are talking about the endpoint software or the full ENTM server. It just seems like a strange question if this is a new install on an old version of this software. Wouldn't it be beneficial to install version 14.0 which is the last version of PIM?

Joe

• 5.  RE: Privileged Identity Manager(CA ControlMinder ) 12.8 for windows 2012

Posted Mar 25, 2020 01:04 AM
    Hi Joe,

I'm appreciated your kind explanation.

Could you kindly check my understanding?

So, you meant the integration PIM v12.8 for windwos 2012 (non-R2) is not "certified" but "supported".

As there is a risk errors related to server OS occur, the users should have active support contract with the server vender.

I know the users should install the latest vesion and will recommend them to do.

Best Regards,

UCHIDA Akio

• 6.  RE: Privileged Identity Manager(CA ControlMinder ) 12.8 for windows 2012

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 25, 2020 08:38 AM
    That does look right. 

Joe

• 7.  RE: Privileged Identity Manager(CA ControlMinder ) 12.8 for windows 2012

Posted Mar 25, 2020 10:28 PM
    Hi Joe,

Thank you.
    Maybe this is the last question.
    Is the install file for windows 2012 (non R2) same with that of R2?
    Or,is there any link to non-R2 software except below?

Regards,
    UCHIDA Akio

• 8.  RE: Privileged Identity Manager(CA ControlMinder ) 12.8 for windows 2012

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 26, 2020 07:43 AM
    Yes, there is only 1 set of files to install from.