Symantec Privileged Access Management

View Only
  • 1.  What are the conditions under which the hardware ID is changed?

Posted Jul 22, 2020 10:52 AM
    ​Hi, all,

I heard that the session log cannot be viewed when the hardware ID is changed.
    I want to know the conditions under which the hardware ID is changed.
    Do you know anyone?

Thanks. Jiro

• 2.  RE: What are the conditions under which the hardware ID is changed?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 22, 2020 06:17 PM
    Hi Jiro, This happened in older releases when the network interfaces configured for a VM changed, either the MAC address changed or an interface was added or removed. In the latest releases, PAM 3.3+, the hardware ID doesn't change anymore. Keep in mind that PAM does not support cloning of a VM that had been started already, which is when the hardware ID is created. You should only clone from a template that was never launched. See https://techdocs.broadcom.com/content/broadcom/techdocs/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/layer7-privileged-access-management/privileged-access-manager/3-4/deploying/deploy-the-vmware-ova-template.html for details. Regards, Ralf

• 3.  RE: What are the conditions under which the hardware ID is changed?

Posted Jul 27, 2020 12:46 AM
    Hi Ralf,

Thank you for answer.

> Keep in mind that PAM does not support cloning of a VM that had been started already, which is when the hardware ID is created.

Can I ask another question about above description?

I want to backup to export an OVA file in VMWare, does "clone" mean exporting the OVA file?
    If so, can OVA files not use backups?

Best Regards, Jiro

• 4.  RE: What are the conditions under which the hardware ID is changed?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 27, 2020 11:33 AM
    Hi Jiro, Cloning refers to creation of additional instances with the same properties as an existing one. This is different from taking backups, which are intended to be used to recover a good state of a system should there be a problem with it in the future. As long as you run only one instance with a given machine ID in your environment at any time, there will be no machine ID conflict.

• 5.  RE: What are the conditions under which the hardware ID is changed?

Posted Jul 28, 2020 10:03 AM
    Hi Ralf,

Thank you for answer!

I understand difference of clone and backup.
    Is it okay to recognize that the hardware ID does not change even if the OVA file is acquired as a backup and deployed?

Best Regard. Ralf