Symantec Privileged Access Management

Expand all | Collapse all

What are the conditions under which the hardware ID is changed?

• 1.  What are the conditions under which the hardware ID is changed?

Posted 13 days ago
    ​Hi, all,

I heard that the session log cannot be viewed when the hardware ID is changed.
    I want to know the conditions under which the hardware ID is changed.
    Do you know anyone?

Thanks. Jiro

• 2.  RE: What are the conditions under which the hardware ID is changed?

Posted 13 days ago
    Hi Jiro, This happened in older releases when the network interfaces configured for a VM changed, either the MAC address changed or an interface was added or removed. In the latest releases, PAM 3.3+, the hardware ID doesn't change anymore. Keep in mind that PAM does not support cloning of a VM that had been started already, which is when the hardware ID is created. You should only clone from a template that was never launched. See https://techdocs.broadcom.com/content/broadcom/techdocs/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/layer7-privileged-access-management/privileged-access-manager/3-4/deploying/deploy-the-vmware-ova-template.html for details. Regards, Ralf

• 3.  RE: What are the conditions under which the hardware ID is changed?

Posted 9 days ago
    Hi Ralf,

Thank you for answer.

> Keep in mind that PAM does not support cloning of a VM that had been started already, which is when the hardware ID is created.

Can I ask another question about above description?

I want to backup to export an OVA file in VMWare, does "clone" mean exporting the OVA file?
    If so, can OVA files not use backups?

Best Regards, Jiro

• 4.  RE: What are the conditions under which the hardware ID is changed?

Posted 8 days ago
    Hi Jiro, Cloning refers to creation of additional instances with the same properties as an existing one. This is different from taking backups, which are intended to be used to recover a good state of a system should there be a problem with it in the future. As long as you run only one instance with a given machine ID in your environment at any time, there will be no machine ID conflict.

• 5.  RE: What are the conditions under which the hardware ID is changed?

Posted 7 days ago
    Hi Ralf,

Thank you for answer!

I understand difference of clone and backup.
    Is it okay to recognize that the hardware ID does not change even if the OVA file is acquired as a backup and deployed?

Best Regard. Ralf