CA Client Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Block software installation

Posted Mar 24, 2016 03:53 PM

Hi,

I know it is possible to block the execution of known software to ITCM, but is there any way to prevent a specific software installation through ITCA?

For example, my customer wants to block new WinRAR installations. I know I can separate these computers in a group and link it to an uninstall policy, but I don't know if it's possible to block the installation itself.

Thank you!

• 2.  Re: Block software installation
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 25, 2016 10:49 AM

Hi Marlon,

Others may have additonal suggestions, but from my experience, this might be tricky to accomplish. Blocking the execution of known software is fairly easy in ITCM because you can identify the specific executable you want to prevent from running. For software installation, that executable is often named setup.exe (or something similar), so blocking setup.exe would block much more than just WinRAR. Many organizations don't allow users to install any software on their machines at all and only allow them to order approved software from Software Catalog. That also has the added benefit of ensuring that the organization can discover all the software in the environment as well, since you could ensure that the software included within the Software Catalog had the necessary software signatures.

• 3.  Re: Block software installation

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 31, 2016 05:39 AM

Hi Marlon

There is no way to do this within Client Auto. As Mike, advised many organisations restrict the permissions of users to install applications locally.

regards

Rich