CA Client Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Deploy software (using a .cmd file) and run as local user on client

Posted Jun 16, 2014 02:01 PM

Note: Client computers are running Windows 7 Professional SP1

Hi,

I'm new to ITCM and am currently working on creating software deployment packages for use within our company. The way we tend to do it is via .cmd files which run commands to install the software and also add error checking (some of our software doesn't have installers so we use this to copy files to the correct location).

I am creating a package for Office 2010 which to install runs a .cmd file that:

1) Opens a web page to explain to the user what is happening and what steps they may need to perform; and

2) Starts the installer with the /config switch and what config.xml file to use.

Unfortunately the web page won't load as the deployment is run in the Interactive Services Detection "desktop". Is there any way I can send a software deployment to a client computer and have it run as the logged in user? I don't want to just add it to the catalogue and let the users order it as we want to oversee upgrades to prevent unnecessary calls to us or extra work because a user made a mistake or a user orders it when they shouldn't be.

If you need any more information, please let me know and I will respond with it and update this post.

Thanks,

Josh

• 2.  Re: Deploy software (using a .cmd file) and run as local user on client

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 17, 2014 12:57 AM

Dear Josh,

Please review "caf help setcreds". The caf setcreds command allows particular services to run under specific user accounts.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Samad

• 3.  Re: Deploy software (using a .cmd file) and run as local user on client

Posted Jun 17, 2014 04:02 AM

Hi Samad,

Thank you for your response. I've looked at the caf help setcreds and I believe this will not help achieve what I need. My understanding of this is that each client machine would need to have this command typed with the login credentials of the currently logged in user before I deploy my specific software package to them. Unfortunately this wouldn't be possible as we manage thousands of computers across multiple sites.

If it didn't require the password of the logged in user then it would have been a bit easier as a script could have been written at logon to issue that command with the username using %username%.

Please could you advise if the password is required and if so, any potential solutions around this?

Thanks,

Josh Hancock

• 4.  Re: Deploy software (using a .cmd file) and run as local user on client

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 17, 2014 04:28 AM

Hi Josh

Sorry but the password is required in order to use the setcreds.

However you can use the caf savecreds \ caf loadcreds. This allows you to create a txt file that contains the credentials and stores the password in an encrypted form

as you are trying to deploy office 2010 can I suggest you review the DSM Green book as it contains instructions on our best practices to deploy Office.

regards

Rich

• 5.  Re: Deploy software (using a .cmd file) and run as local user on client

Posted Jun 17, 2014 04:39 AM

Thanks Rich,

I will look into this. Yes it's Office 2010 I'm trying to deploy which is fine. The main thing I'm trying to get working is I have a web page I want to load at the same time as the installation which explains to the end user what is currently happening on their computer and what steps they need to take to activate it as well as telephone numbers to call if they run into any problems.

If I can get the web page to load in Session 0 then I will just force the computer to switch to it for the install. If I can't get the web page to load in Session 0 then I will need to continue looking at getting the web page and install to load in Session 1 when deploying it directly from DSM.

Thanks

• 6.  Re: Deploy software (using a .cmd file) and run as local user on client
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 17, 2014 05:57 AM

The best solution I could think of would be to create a package that contains psexec. You could use that to call iexplore as a different user.

then deliver both packages together in same container so the web page will be displayed and office installed.

regards

Rich

• 7.  Re: Deploy software (using a .cmd file) and run as local user on client

Posted Jun 17, 2014 06:06 AM

Great minds think alike! I'm actually about to run a test using this method. I will update on my findings and if successful I will mark your answer and correct. I appreciate the help from both Richard and Samad.

Just to confirm, if my website is within the package in a folder called install_info, I should just be able to put the following line in my .cmd and it should be picked up by the client?

psexec.exe -s -i 1 "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" "install_info/index.html"

Please could you confirm if my thinking is correct?

Thanks